Identify my guitar please!!!

mexicancanadian

Identify my guitar please!!!

Post by mexicancanadian » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:47 pm

Hi! My name is Sebastian. I live in Canada but I was born in Mexico. My grand-father just gave me a classical guitar that he himself bought from a friend in the 90's. I know that it's a J. Alvarez guitar, and I think it was made in Spain. That being said, I don't know anything else about it. It doesn't have any serial numbers or dates. I love this guitar, and I would like to know more about it. I'd be really happy if someone could tell me what model it is, what woods you think it's made of, when it was made, etc. Also, it needs a bit of refurbishing, and if any one knows it this guitar has special needs or stuff I should watch out for I would l greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance! :merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Re: Identify my guitar please!!!

Post by Keith » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:50 am

J is probably Juan as in Juan Alvarez. The address on the label is the same as the Alvarez guitar factory in Spain. It appears to be a student level guitar although the tuners look to be Fusteros, or a version of them. The label says J and not Juan. If you google Juan Alvarez you will see what his labels look like. It appears that the label in your guitar has several blank spaces where the factory would have written "uan" after the J and that leads me to think it might be a guitar made outside of the factory. Then again, maybe Juan went by J. for a while. It appears to be cedar and indian rosewood.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Beowulf

Re: Identify my guitar please!!!

Post by Beowulf » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:47 pm

You can confirm if the top is cedar (looks likely to me) by placing a small light inside: if you can't see through the top, it's cedar; if you can see through and identify the bracing pattern, it's spruce.

Certainly in Canadian winters, make sure you keep a humidifier in your case.

The label is interesting as it notes "SPAIN" rather than "ESPANA" which is more common for Alvarez; as well the name has no "R" symbol to indicate a registered trademark:
J_Alvarez.jpg
Juan Alvarez.jpg
Eric Clapton played an Alvarez and it was sold for 250 thousand at auction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”