Chai Di Luthier

Cessa

Chai Di Luthier

Post by Cessa » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:35 pm

We are thinking about buying an used 2015 Chai Di double top guitar. I was wondering if you anyone has any knowledge or have ever played a Chai Di guitar.

simonm

Re: Chai Di Luthier

Post by simonm » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:42 pm

Never heard of that name and seems to be impossible to search for as chai just gets all sorts of teas. Here on the forum Di is ignored as only 3 letter words or longer are indexed. If it is local to you, then no harm in trying it out. :-)

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:07 am

I did a quick search. There's a bit of info available, including his #1 guitar that had been on Reverb - photos and a video are still up.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Cessa

Post by Cessa » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:24 pm

That is the one we were thinking of buying.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:13 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:07 am
I did a quick search. There's a bit of info available, including his #1 guitar that had been on Reverb - photos and a video are still up.
Cessa wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:24 pm
That is the one we were thinking of buying.
If the information above is correct I would very strongly advise against it.

The guitar may be great ... the builder may have worked for years with a famous luthier or in a major factory. Or it may be an amateur's very first attempt.

From your previous posts I don't think you have the experience to make the necessary judgement. I would strongly advise you to buy something more mainstream.

In a previous thread you posted this - that is still a very sound idea.
Cessa wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:01 am
Thanks for everyone's feedback! I will probably head to one of to Savage Guitars and our local store and have her try out guitars first. I realize this might be a long process.

You could also keep an eye on the for sale section here. Something near you that would be easy to try out might turn up.

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:55 pm

I could not find the double top but I did find guitar #1, a Smallman type/lattice braced guitar. The seller is Jordon Taylor who says his teacher, Andrew John, was the owner and he, Jordon and/or Andrew bought two guitars so maybe the other guitar is the double top. It appears the "Smallman" guitar has been sold. The asking price was $4500. I am not sure if these folks are here at Delcamp. If so, maybe PM them and see if you can demo the guitar. The builder apparently lives in China so it might be tough to get any background information.

Given the price asked for the "Smallman" I would suspect the double top in question is in the same ballpark. Correct? For that kind of money I would go with something more tried and true--and especially where you can get a trial period. However, if you can connect with the above folks and try out the guitar then maybe the adventure is not over.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Post by Waddy Thomson » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:49 pm

Chai Di was at GFA in Louisville last summer. His guitar was getting a lot of interest there. He's a nice guy, and the guitar he had there was really loud, sounded pretty good, and seemed to be well built. I didn't play it, but he was right across from me and it got a lot of play. The above reference to Andrew John should have read Andrew Zohn. Andrew is the Guitar Department head at Schwob School of Music (Columbus State University) in Columbus Georgia. It is a good guitar program, and has produced some fine players. GFA has been held at their facility twice. The first prize at his Guitar competition this month, for Division II is a Chai Di gutar, valued at $5,000, based on the website. The Division I prize is a Kenny Hill Performance Model also valued at $5K, if that says anything. Chai is a part time builder, and is a Respiratory Therapist, full time, as far as I could tell from my limited conversations with him. He does not speak English much and I don't speak Chinese at all. He had one of those translation apps on his phone for help. Don't know if any of that is worth anything for making a guitar purchase decision!
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Here is the quote from Reverb (see below). I hope it is just a spelling error and not the student not knowing his teacher's name (I suspect the former).
"This is a 2015 Smallman copy from the Chinese luthier Chai Di. It is labeled No 1 but is his first guitar, it is the first of a pair of guitarist made for my teacher Andrew John, from whom I purchased the instrument."

I would imagine Professor Zohn is reachable through the school so maybe an e-mail might get the ball rolling if the ball rolling is what the OP wants.

Waddy, I am a Boston transplant now living in Louisville. What did you make of our fair city? I have to say it is a lot more livable than Boston--cheap rents and driving is generally a breeze although the drivers think the highway is a NASCAR track, hence why KY has the third highest death rate due to automobile usage. Lots of good bourbon this way.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Waddy Thomson
Luthier

Post by Waddy Thomson » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:25 pm

It was my second GFA in Louisville. Unfortunately, the GFA hotels were not down town this time, so I really didn't even get there. Mostly just between the school and the hotel out near the airport. That said, Louisville is a great city, and has a lot to offer. The previous Louisville GFA had most of us in downtown hotels so there was lots to see within walking distance. Great fun either way.

On the original subject, I'm sure Zohn would be glad to comment on the instrument viability. As a matter of fact, he is very picky that way, and I doubt he would even consider using a guitar he didn't approve of as a prize in his competition. It would not represent him well to do that.
Waddy

Link to Build Albums - See Profile

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”