Francisco Barba 1962?!?

Keith

Re: Francisco Barba 1962?!?

Post by Keith » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:28 am

A guitar in that poor condition is likely to have other problems--warped neck, hidden cracks, etc. It looks as if the neck needs to be refinished and it is likely the rest of the guitar probably is in the same condition. As much as I love old Ramirez flamenco guitars, I would walk away.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:58 am

I also agree with those who suggest passing on that Ramirez -- the mould inside is dreadful, and the rest of the guitar is a filthy, banged up mess -- there is "very used, very very worn" and then there is "totally neglected and treated with complete disregard", and this Ramirez appears to be in the latter category. You can do far better. The Barba may be a bit overpriced for an early model, or not -- it appears to be in exceptional condition, and if it sounds and plays beautifully, perhaps you could make an offer, if you really like it.

Of course, you really need to make this decision yourself, so good luck!

Folledanza

Post by Folledanza » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:03 pm

The Barba has been already sold and the Ramirez is, for the reasons above, out of question...

So I will surf for other Flamencas... :-)

Folledanza

Post by Folledanza » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:27 pm

At the end I bought the Ramirez. I'm very happy! The guitar is certainly very used but what seems terrible and nearly unacceptable on the pictures it is much more like vintage patina in the reality. The guitar is structurally perfect and after two "rice" treatments the dirty/mold inside is almost disappeared. The neck is perfect and the action as well. Sound-wise I like it a lot. It still has the shellack finish.

Just one question, tuners are not original and I did not like them. any advise on with what I can replace them? Unfortunately I did not see any fustero tuners on the net at the moment...

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:28 pm

Sounds like that Ramirez is a gem, after all -- congratulations on your new acquisition! I also noticed the tuners, and they do not look proper on that guitar, and so a different set is a good idea (although I don't have any specific recommendations).

Enjoy it!

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:44 pm

I don't know why people almost assume anything black is mould. It just looks like grime to me - I don't see any evidence that it was wet - just old and grotty. Congratulations on the buy.

Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:53 pm

Good to hear the Ramirez worked out. An old Ramirez needs Fusteros, but since they are hard to come by, I would go with Gotoh lyre tuners. Easy to find and they work great. GSI allegedly sells Gotoh "Fustero" which has nicer buttons, in my opinion, than the ones at Stew-Mac.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Fiçapapa

Post by Fiçapapa » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:57 am

Hello,
You should have bought it!
It s a dream....

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”