Vintage Takamine, anyone?

lawcch

Re: Vintage Takamine, anyone?

Post by lawcch » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:24 am

Hi Trev.
That price you paid was excellent and Best buy considering Takamine H20 was a new or mint condition.
Most guitar had Brazilian rosewood or Jacaranda wood on their back and side fetched a very high price tag in today world.
The photos of Takamine No.15 still on sales on e - b a y by seller called "VictorK1962" for USD$2,500 but it does not had Jacaranda wood.
here is the link to the advertisement of Takamine No. 15 on e - b a y.com
https://www.e - b a y.com/itm/MADE-1980s-TAK ... 2f2efcfa7e
Jose Antonio JR200 "Jose Romanillos replicate guitar"
Yamaha GC 7M model
Kenny Hill La Curva model

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:25 am

sorry duplicate copy and I don't know how to delete the duplicate message here
Jose Antonio JR200 "Jose Romanillos replicate guitar"
Yamaha GC 7M model
Kenny Hill La Curva model

Nitsuga Uriarte

Post by Nitsuga Uriarte » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:49 pm

I own a 77 master arte 7 (cedar/indian) and I have owned 2 Sakurai guitars (94’ Excellent and 81 model 10). They have similar qualities but the takamine is definitely an inferior instrument. Basses on the Arte 7 are not as deep and trebles have that more plasticky sound typical of mass produced guitars. If you are in the price range of a few thousand than definitely spring for a used kohno or sakurai. There are also a lot of new and very talented luthiers out there these days and if you search around you can find something of superior quality without breaking the bank.
2018 Glez Sp/Cy
2010 Concepción CD/IR
2002 Yairi CY 140 CD/BRW
Yamaha NCX1200R SP/IR

Adam Johnson
Student of the online lessons

Post by Adam Johnson » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:07 pm

Hello everyone,
I’m a beginning/returning student to classical and have started the hunt for a guitar. I’ve been looking at the older 132s after seeing/hearing some utube clips and wonder if it would be a good choice for a beginning player? Tone and playability are the most important qualities; it doesn’t need to have huge volume as I’m only playing at home. I would likely have to buy online, as I’m not seeing any in my area, so any thoughts/experience you’d be willing to share regarding these guitars is much appreciat.

Thanks!

Nitsuga Uriarte

Post by Nitsuga Uriarte » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:55 pm

It is a great guitar for students. If you are buying online, buy from a company with a return policy. Guitarcenter has a bunch of used ones for sale right now. There are a few there now for $299! You will have 45 days to return it unless it is vintage, then I believe it is 3 days.
2018 Glez Sp/Cy
2010 Concepción CD/IR
2002 Yairi CY 140 CD/BRW
Yamaha NCX1200R SP/IR

Adam Johnson

Post by Adam Johnson » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:16 pm

Appreciate the suggestion to try Guitarcenter. I forgot they do used guitars as well. There’s a store not far from me, and with their trial period option that seems like a good avenue to pursue!

singlechange

Post by singlechange » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:01 pm

AJ, welcome to the forum.
It seems to me only a while back that I was in the same situation, only I was a bit older.
For what it's worth, if I had to do over again selecting my first classical guitar, I would really do some more thinking before making my guitar choice.
Just for the record, I have owned and loved my Japanese vintage guitars including Kohno '66, Yamaha GC '72 and M. Nobe '78 so I have some experience with vintage Japanese guitars.
If you look around you may find something, not necessarily vintage Japanese but perhaps vintage U.K. and Spanish guitars with playability and sound of a concert classical guitar when you can think about budgeting a little bit more money, like in the $500-$700 guitar price range. It's really a bit more than a $299 vintage Takamine. I will say that one of the more illustrious forum member still has his vintage Takamine 132 he started playing as a teenager.

Adam Johnson

Post by Adam Johnson » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the great advice. You are really on target in your comments as $500-700 is kind of where I’d set my budget at. Seems like a fair amount to spend for just starting out again, but I’m thinking it’d be good to get something that can grow with me as I progress.

Shortly after I started really looking at the old Takamine’s I found the Tavi demo clips on YouTube and fell down that rabbit hole...! :lol: So now I’m broadening my view and looking at other older Japanese guitars. In my price range I’m currently looking at the Takamine’s (which sound very nice in those clips), as well as a a couple of Yairi’s and an older Yamaha. There’s also a Matsuoka from the 80’s in the same range that looks nice but I don’t know what it sounds like.

I’m 5’7” and have smaller hands, so I’m thinking I’ll probably want to aim for something with a 650 scale? That’s a detail I forgot to check when I was looking at these....

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:47 pm

Tavi does make any guitar sound wonderful, so think 60% of what he gets. I have the Yairi CY 117 he demo's on one of the clips.
My Takamine has a 51mm neck, that over 52mm does seem to help a bit.
Trev
Jose Antonio Lagunar 2017
Alvarez Yairi 1981
Takamine Hirade H20

Adam Johnson

Post by Adam Johnson » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:16 am

Or in my case, probably 40% of what he gets! :lol:
The information about nut width is useful—something else I hadn’t really considered and need to add to the equation. Out of curiosity, what is the scale length on your Takamine (and is it the same as the Yairi)?

Trev

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:03 am

lol,
both guitars are 650.
Nut width margin is small but every little bit can help.
Trev
Jose Antonio Lagunar 2017
Alvarez Yairi 1981
Takamine Hirade H20

Nitsuga Uriarte

Post by Nitsuga Uriarte » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:20 am

If you are concerned about scale be careful when buying the old takamines. The concert and master arte’s from the 70’s are mostly 660 scale, as was the trend during that decade. My 77 master arte is 660.
2018 Glez Sp/Cy
2010 Concepción CD/IR
2002 Yairi CY 140 CD/BRW
Yamaha NCX1200R SP/IR

gelidity

Post by gelidity » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:55 pm

I have a Takamine C-140SH built in 1975, with the H meaning it was built with settings to handle hard tension strings. Does anyone what those changes to settings are? And is it still safe to use high tension strings on the guitar given its age?

As for how the guitar is, it plays and sounds like a guitar in the $1-2k range but I haven't had the chance to compare it to many other vintage Japanese guitars.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”