Lazarides flamenco guitar (blanca) review

AndresK

Lazarides flamenco guitar (blanca) review

Post by AndresK » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:47 am

Hello to all forum members and everyone who might be interested.

The reason I am writing this post is to share my review of the Vassilis Lazarides flamenco guitar (blanca).

Vassilis Lazarides also makes exceptional classical guitars. A couple of close friends own them but I cannot write on their behalf.

All that you pay is actually on the instrument and you get far beyond that when you actually play it. The french polish is perfect and aesthetics are a joy to look at.
But the main reason for this review is the experience of holding and playing the instrument itself.

It has a powerful sound that can actually get quite big depending on your playing, without distorting the quality of the sound. The trebles are crystal clear and strong sounding even up to the 19th fret. The basses are deep and even and you can actually get a perfectly sounding low C note when tuning, for example, the guitar in CGCGBE for Calima of Gerardo Núñez, with the guitar giving you the impression that is tuned in standard tuning (absolutely balanced sound)!

The ‘fragrance’ coming from the guitar is amazing. When I asked Vassilis Lazarides about it he said it was just the cypress and the French polish, but well I have to say that it is the best I have ever encountered on a guitar.

The playability is, as you could expect, just amazing and takes no time to get your hands used to it. This is also a comment that all my classical guitar students make when firstly try it. It makes playing effortless and helped me clear things out in phrases I was struggling to get for years.

It can sound as flamenco as you can get but you can also make it sound quite sweet if played accordingly. I love my classical pieces played with it and you can get the sweetest tone for pieces like the Vals no.3 by Augustin Barrios Mangore, if you play above the sound hole.

Another thing is that it is hard to stop playing as it is so satisfying listening to your playing through this guitar. So it will surely keep you practicing more and more and looking forward to playing again and again.

All these of course are qualities that might be on most well-made luthier guitars but it is not something I am used to seeing in all guitars made by luthiers.

The price is also exceptional for this kind of instrument and Vassilis Lazarides himself is a great guy as you must have already heard before, loving his art and making always the greatest effort to deliver the best through every instrument he makes.

I already have a demo video uploaded on youtube but it is mostly flamenco. I will post some classical pieces played on it sometime soon so you can check the versatile nature of this guitar although it is mostly flamenco as it is a cypress/spruce guitar.

Cheers to all, Andreas.

RobMacKillop

Re: Lazarides flamenco guitar (blanca) review

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:54 am

Andreas, I am not surprised you enjoy playing classical pieces on a flamenco guitar, as I do the same. I use a Camps Amazon, but with gut and silk strings. It's my favourite guitar. So, classical players should not think that flamenco guitars are not for them. I hope more players check them out. I'll admit to not having heard of Lazarides before, but from your description I will definitely check him out, and I look forward to hearing your Barrios in due course.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:00 pm

Camps Rob? Really? You've had all these high end guitars and you go to the Camps...cool...not that the Camps is low end.

But I concur Cypress, plus gut, or low tension rectifieds...heaven!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:05 pm

It's a long story...

AndresK

Post by AndresK » Wed May 29, 2019 8:23 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:54 am
Andreas, I am not surprised you enjoy playing classical pieces on a flamenco guitar, as I do the same. I use a Camps Amazon, but with gut and silk strings. It's my favourite guitar. So, classical players should not think that flamenco guitars are not for them. I hope more players check them out. I'll admit to not having heard of Lazarides before, but from your description I will definitely check him out, and I look forward to hearing your Barrios in due course.
Hello again! Here is an unrehearsed balcony performance of Vals No.3 of Barrios. Sorry in advance for the lots of mistakes. I do not really like those strings on the guitar though (Savarez Corum Cristal Hard Tension), It makes the guitar a bit stiff and dull compared to normal tension basses.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed May 29, 2019 9:55 am

Well, you and I play in very different ways, and I can hear some flamenco in your playing, so it makes sense for you to explore flamenco guitars. It sounds great, and your playing is very lively. Looks like you are going to have a lot of fun once you get your preferred strings on it!

AndresK

Post by AndresK » Thu May 30, 2019 8:05 am

Dear Mr Rob,

Thank you for your comment, for the time you took to watch my video and for your very kind words. I absolutely love your playing and enjoy your videos that as many others appreciate too, they are magical. I have many students that play without nails, some because they are on their first couple of years and some that do not want to grow any. I never force anyone of them and suggest your website and videos too, for those that want to actually go "deeper" on the no nail technique and are more interested in music and classical guitar. I always suggest to new students to play without nails for at least a year to have a proper feel of the strings at the edges of their fingertips. I find it is easier for them to control their sound after that, nails or no nails, whatever they choose.

Thank you, Andreas.

P.S. I attach one more video I made a year ago in order to sell an old classical guitar I had and did not want want anymore (too hard to play and no tone variety). It is not a public video. I just share it with you to let you know I also have a sweeter touch but it is true I enjoy flamenco very much.

Keith

Post by Keith » Thu May 30, 2019 12:08 pm

Does not surprise me that a cypress body guitar would have a classical tone. I recall several years ago GSI referring to their Carmen line as a blonde classical. I had a Johnny Walker cypress body guitar that the original owner did a video with him playing a classical piece.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu May 30, 2019 12:49 pm

Thank you, Andres, for your very kind words. I think your pupils have a good teacher!

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Fri May 31, 2019 12:30 am

If anyone is interested I have a 2006 1A Vicente Carrillo Flamenco blanca for sale in the UK near London. PM if interested.

I have a cross braced 2014 VC blanca also that has replaced it and as such it needs a home.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”