Beginner guitars

Louis Eisenberger

Beginner guitars

Post by Louis Eisenberger » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:51 am

Hello, I had no idea my accoustic guitar wouldn't fit the standards of classical guitar playing. The neck is 1 6/8 inches, or 44.45 mm, which I'm worried about being too skinny. If this is going to be as big if a problem as i think it would, what would your recommendations for a beginner guitar be? I'm willing to trade my current guitar in (purchased it for $500) but i'd like to stay in that range. Also would buying online be advisable for the lower price or would the potential damage of it being shipped deter me? Thanks in advance!

Lovemyguitar

Re: Beginner guitars

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:46 am

Hello! You are quite right -- an acoustic guitar is not ideal for classical playing. Not only does the skinny neck make it harder to pluck the strings (not enough clearance for your fingers), but the tone is not right: a classical guitar, with its nylon strings and much lighter build, has a beautiful tone that will be very different from what you get with steel strings (a classical will feel nicer to play, as well, with its lower string tension).

There is a section on this forum specifically for advice on buying a guitar, where you may want to post your question (it may get more attention there):

https://classicalguitardelcamp.com/view ... cdd1e8fa05

In your price range, people often recommend Yamaha guitars (but it depends on where you live as to what is available). I've bought guitars online with no problems, as most dealers or even private sellers will pack the guitar very carefully. If you're looking for a trade, perhaps a local shop might be a better option (then you won't have to ship yours). Good luck!

epiphone

Post by epiphone » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:20 am

Hi, you can find something here

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=125902&p=1345444#p1345444

Best.

Louis Eisenberger

Post by Louis Eisenberger » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:37 am

Thanks!

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:41 am

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:46 am

There is a section on this forum specifically for advice on buying a guitar, where you may want to post your question (it may get more attention there):

https://classicalguitardelcamp.com/view ... cdd1e8fa05

Indeed. The thread has now been moved.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

billchivers

Post by billchivers » Fri May 03, 2019 1:57 am

As someone else on this forum once said, a beginner should "buy the most expensive Yamaha you can afford". I think that is pretty good advice, Yamaha are well known for their consistency and quality. I still occasionally play my 1972 entry-level Yamaha.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”