mensur 63 and corpus

Hermx

mensur 63 and corpus

Post by Hermx » Sun May 05, 2019 8:09 am

Hi all,
I am looking for a guitar for a friend. She is rather short and I suggested a guitar with a mensur of 630mm for her.
Question: Is it advisable to also have an accordingly smaller corpus or is ist better to have a normal size corpus with the shorter mensur?
The price range should be for a beginner level, say around 1500€.
I have seen Hernandez models and Picado models in that range. The Picados come with normal size corpus or with slightly smaller corpus. There are also Hannikas (model 50PF), but I prefer the Picado (model 54, 63mensur).
What would be best to look for?

Thanks for advice!

wil weten

Re: mensur 63 and corpus

Post by wil weten » Sun May 05, 2019 1:00 pm

I am rather short too and I''ve got a classical (student! )guitar with a 630 mm scale, specially built for me. The builder also made the distance between the strings a bit smaller and he made the fretboard a bit 'curved', sort of like the fingerboard of a cello, but much more flat. This feels very comfortable.

He told me a 630 mm scale was the smallest scale that permitted to have a normal size corpus. I love having a normal size corpus on my guitar, as a smaller corpus usually means a smaller tone. I don't have any problem with playing a normal size corpus classical guitar.

As my fingers still won't stretch much, I play with a capo on the third fret. That way my guitar sounds nicest and it is a bit more comfortable to make large stretches.

I once got a tip that one could tune the guitar a minor third down and then put the capo on the third fret when one wants to play with others who don't like to use a capo.

madrilla

Post by madrilla » Sun May 05, 2019 6:56 pm

I think the common view is that a shorter scale length is easier for small hands while a smaller body is easier to hold.

wil weten

Post by wil weten » Sun May 05, 2019 7:15 pm

I started on a acoustic guitar, yes, with metal strings and a very large body. The largeness of the body was no problem at all

Hermx

Post by Hermx » Sat May 11, 2019 8:36 am

Thanks for the comments.
We went for a Picado model 54, 63menur but normal corpus. Its a really fine guitar, spruce and indian rosewood with cedro neck, solid wood , good tone, nice volume (the normal size corpus!) - excellent value for the money! She is now very happy with it! I think, for just short of 1500€ you will hardly find anything better.

rwe

Post by rwe » Sat May 11, 2019 10:29 am

A "nomal tall" member of our ensemble plays a 63 mensur with a regular corpus, but for a small (wo)man I would prefer a smaller corpus. Don't know where you live, you mentioned Hanika. In Germany Dieter Hopf offers a wide range of good instruments with 63 Mensur and AFAIK a smaller corpus too.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”