Choosing an upgrade for my daughter

Ocicat

Re: Choosing an upgrade for my daughter

Post by Ocicat » Fri May 10, 2019 4:29 pm

I'm just astonished. singlechange and I messaged, and we have accepted his incredibly generous offer. My daughter looked at the photos (without even knowing about the offer, having any explanation from me, or knowing that it is really a special and unusual guitar) and immediately loved the look of the guitar, especially the rosette. :)

Regarding the size concerns... I know she is very young to be on a full-sized guitar, but she has a long/lean build with long arms & hands. I just double-checked and at 4'10" she is indeed the height of the average 12-year-old...! And everything I've read generalizes to a recommendation of a 3/4 guitar for ages 8-12, then moving to a larger size if desired.

I think you can see just in the photo I posted, the difference between her hand on her guitar neck & that of her friend's hand (same age) beside her. We have to constantly tell her to tuck her thumb under the neck because it's constantly creeping around and curling around the neck when she plays - honestly a larger neck might be easier for her in some ways? (Totally guessing - I know nothing! :))

As I mentioned up-thread, she did play a C7 and a C9 in a local shop and we felt that she looked comfortable on them. So did the employees, based on her arm position & hand reach - I think someone made the point that they're there to sell stuff - however, to their credit they encouraged us to get the less expensive C7 over the C9, which is just one example of why I trust that shop. And it appears that the full Cordobas have the same scale/thickness as this Nobe?

I believe as Beowulf noted, she will need some time to adjust to the heavier weight. FWIW she's been in competitive swimming since age 5 and is very strong... I am confident she'll be fine. And we will still have her 3/4 Lucida to fall back to, if she does get tired while practicing.

When it arrives maybe I'll post another pic of her playing and would love to hear everyone's advice on how she looks with it as far as her position, etc., as I really do respect all of your expertise! I don't want to do anything that would be counterproductive to her journey.

But I do believe this guitar will inspire her in her learning. She is so excited!!! Honestly, singlechange, not only is she excited about this guitar, but she is thrilled by the kindness in your gesture. Not to shamelessly brag or anything :lol:, but she is a really sweet kid and cares deeply about people being kind to one another... so to be the beneficiary of such a gesture means a ton to her and, in itself, inspires her. I'm getting teary again!

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri May 10, 2019 4:46 pm

Congratulations, ocicat and singlechange! You have given her a wondrous gift on her journey. It will inspire and delight her and I suspect she will make beautiful music for the rest of her life.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri May 10, 2019 4:49 pm

This is one of the nicest things ever (it brought tears to my eyes, too)! What a beautiful gesture by singlechange, and how wonderful and exciting for this enthusiast young guitarist. I hope she has many years of joy from this lovely guitar, along with the memories of the incredible kindness of a stranger. All the best wishes to everyone involved!

ThomasW

Post by ThomasW » Fri May 10, 2019 4:57 pm

This is a great story to read, and I sincerely hope the girl will be happy making music on her new guitar. I have never had a 9 year old student who could manage a full size guitar, so that would be my only concern.
Good luck :chitarrista:

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri May 10, 2019 6:42 pm

Do a search for "Little North Korean Girl Playing Guitar"...it shows how a small player can adapt to what appears to be a full sized instrument. She is 5. :mrgreen:
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

brian

Post by brian » Fri May 10, 2019 11:39 pm

nice one singlechange!!
pure class.
if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Mon May 13, 2019 1:30 pm

honestly a larger neck might be easier for her in some ways
Not necessarily: this is a part of technique that's really hard to learn, keeping the thumb behind the neck. Once mastered it becomes second nature. It's easier for her to fall into a bad habit because she has long fingers, where shorter fingers have no choice but to do it right or else not reach the notes! And it's also kind of natural feeling.

It might help her to see videos of classical guitarists: many steel-string and even nylon-string non-classical guitarists do wrap the thumb around, and if she's seen that she may not quite get that it matters. But once she masters it, proper technique will feel a lot better -- it'll never impede her ultimately, whatever style music she wants to play!

Congrats on the guitar! :D
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Ocicat

Post by Ocicat » Tue May 21, 2019 10:44 pm

My daughter's new guitar arrived today from singlechange...... She is IN LOVE!
IMG_8408.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Tue May 21, 2019 10:52 pm

That is totally awesome!!! :)
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Tstrembu

Post by Tstrembu » Wed May 22, 2019 2:26 am

What a happy and inspiring thread! This truly made my day :D

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Wed May 22, 2019 4:22 am

Her smile says it all! Fantastic!

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Wed May 22, 2019 1:30 pm

My daughter's new guitar arrived today from singlechange
She looks thrilled! And the size will be absolutely fine, as the picture shows. Congrats again!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

hatalap

Post by hatalap » Wed May 29, 2019 12:24 am

What a great opportunity to make the world a better place. Singlechange great job!

TheEvan

Post by TheEvan » Wed May 29, 2019 10:59 am

Wonderful, wonderful.

Her right pinkie tells me that her fingers are plenty long...

spottie

Post by spottie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:12 am

What an amazing story! Congrats! The guitar looks like a great fit for your daughter.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”