Curved guitar top, dangerous?

joachim33

Re: Curved guitar top, dangerous?

Post by joachim33 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:55 pm

georgemarousi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:57 am
Beowulf wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:16 pm
What is the string tension of the set on the instrument?
Daddario Medium tension with carbon trebles
If that is a EJ45FF set, with around 43kg these strings have a very high set tension. Higher than eg. Savarez Alliance high tension (also carbon trebles).

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri May 10, 2019 1:00 pm

georgemarousi wrote:
Beowulf wrote:
I just noticed this post. I have put d'addario carbon "medium" tensions on my guitar once and found them to be grossly high tension. I really liked their sound (very responsive, loud, good tone) but couldn't help feeling I was harming the guitar, so I removed them. Would definitely not put them on a guitar that already has significant top deformation. Although I do wonder if you are partly drawn to that guitar because of the strings.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Fri May 10, 2019 1:32 pm

souldier wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:00 pm
georgemarousi wrote:
Beowulf wrote:
I just noticed this post. I have put d'addario carbon "medium" tensions on my guitar once and found them to be grossly high tension. I really liked their sound (very responsive, loud, good tone) but couldn't help feeling I was harming the guitar, so I removed them. Would definitely not put them on a guitar that already has significant top deformation. Although I do wonder if you are partly drawn to that guitar because of the strings.
I agree with you on that perception, and that's why I emphasized on the carbon trebles - looks like Daddario medium carbon trebles have a feeling / tension at levels of High tension normal strings.
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Panagi Brothers 70's
Furch FN 23 CR ( nylon )
Juan Martinez nr 55 2014 (the comeback)
Yamaha cg 110 1988 (the 1st)
Gibson j45
--
2014: the comeback

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri May 10, 2019 1:57 pm

georgemarousi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:32 pm
I agree with you on that perception, and that's why I emphasized on the carbon trebles - looks like Daddario medium carbon trebles have a feeling / tension at levels of High tension normal strings.
I would say d'addario carbon normal tension ought to be labeled "Extra High Tension". While string tension labels are relative/subjective, I find it dishonest and misleading of D'addario to label their carbons as "Normal Tension". Savarez Carbon high tension strings for example are considered to be very high tension, and yet the d'addario's normal tensions are even higher:

Savarez High Tension Alliance Carbons:
E - 18.76 lbs
B - 13.91 lbs
G - 13.47

D'addario "Normal" Tension Carbons:
E - 21.29 lbs
B - 15.35 lbs
G - 14.32 lbs

When I was stringing up the D'addario carbons, I distinctly remember how difficult and nerve racking it was to wind up the strings as I felt the strings would snap or the bridge would rip off. One of the carbons even slipped at high speed, and this has never happened to me with any other brand (gratefully I had a cardboard protector in place).
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri May 10, 2019 2:32 pm

georgemarousi wrote:
Beowulf wrote:
Okay...so you would certainly not want to go higher than normal tension; light would ease the curve.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:41 pm

souldier wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:57 pm

I would say d'addario carbon normal tension ought to be labeled "Extra High Tension". While string tension labels are relative/subjective, I find it dishonest and misleading of D'addario to label their carbons as "Normal Tension". Savarez Carbon high tension strings for example are considered to be very high tension, and yet the d'addario's normal tensions are even higher:

Savarez High Tension Alliance Carbons:
E - 18.76 lbs
B - 13.91 lbs
G - 13.47

D'addario "Normal" Tension Carbons:
E - 21.29 lbs
B - 15.35 lbs
G - 14.32 lbs
Savarez revised their tension figures around 2017/18. The figures currently on their website are a lot lower than what they published e.g. in 2016. I am wondering still whether they changed the product or just the measurement procedure. I am wondering whether you have considered that when stating:
Savarez Carbon high tension strings for example are considered to be very high tension, ...
Still I am with you, that D'Addario Carbons are in a different league than the Savarez.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Mon May 13, 2019 6:09 am

georgemarousi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:12 pm
A reversed question is, anyone saw a thin CG curved top brake after some years ?! :shock:
up! :)
Panagi Brothers 70's
Furch FN 23 CR ( nylon )
Gibson j45
--

dta721

Post by dta721 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:47 pm

georgemarousi wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:09 am
georgemarousi wrote:
A reversed question is, anyone saw a thin CG curved top brake after some years ?! :shock:
I admire your tenacity! It could be easier to verify if the "belly phenomenon" is reversible by removing all strings for a week or two, then observe how it looks? If promising then one could restring with normal tension strings to see any improvement (less of a curved top compared to before)? Then, see if you as the prospective buyer still like the sound in this new "configurarion"?

Having the above info would help make the decision "to buy or not to buy" -pardon the pun :) , as opposed to keep wondering if/when the curved top would break after some time, IMO.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Tue May 14, 2019 9:43 am

dta721 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:47 pm
georgemarousi wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:09 am
georgemarousi wrote:
I admire your tenacity! It could be easier to verify if the "belly phenomenon" is reversible by removing all strings for a week or two, then observe how it looks? If promising then one could restring with normal tension strings to see any improvement (less of a curved top compared to before)? Then, see if you as the prospective buyer still like the sound in this new "configurarion"?

Having the above info would help make the decision "to buy or not to buy" -pardon the pun :) , as opposed to keep wondering if/when the curved top would break after some time, IMO.
interesting idea to put off the strings for some time!
I insist on the question mostly from curiosity now ( can a bended top actually brake? )
In any case I have decided not to proceed with a purchase for obvious reasons ( Due to curved top I would offer a price that the seller would never accept.. so I won't even make any offer )
Thanks for your support / advice!
Panagi Brothers 70's
Furch FN 23 CR ( nylon )
Gibson j45
--

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”