Thoughts on Cordoba Steel Strings

Gilded Strings

Thoughts on Cordoba Steel Strings

Post by Gilded Strings » Tue May 14, 2019 2:23 am

I played the Cordoba D10 and D11 at the local guitar store. I didn't realise they made steel strings. At the price range I felt it played better than the other steel strings at similar prices. Apparently they use classical guitar construction for their builds. They are also quite light. The bass response was fuller and warmer than the other steel strings I played. I was playing mostly classical style and a few open chords to get the feel of the body resonance. I also heard they are going to discontinue the steel string line.

Anyone had any experience with the Cordoba steel strings?

Cheers,

Gilded Strings

Gilded Strings

Re: Thoughts on Cordoba Steel Strings

Post by Gilded Strings » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:51 am

How about I ask has anyone here bought a steel string guitar and what brand did you buy?

I recently bought a 12 string Alverez AD60-12. Never had a 12 string before. Love the tone and the jangly sound.
It is hard on the left had to maintain the pressure to get all the octave strings to sound. When you pick up the classical after playing the 12 string it feels so soft under the fingers.

eveness612

Post by eveness612 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:36 pm

I have owned a Cordoba tenor ukulele, and I own a 2005 Cordoba 55R (classical). Sold the uke due to poor workmanship, and I am selling the 55R for similar reasons. I own 3 Martin steel string guitars, a Taylor 12 string and several vintage ukes (plus lots of others but I don't want to brag). I would not buy a Cordoba again. Alvarez makes an excellent instrument, but I am very partial to Martin for an acoustic guitar. The Cordoba is showing a milky look to the finish, which means it was not done properly. Moisture, humidity is usually to blame during the finishing process. I called the company and told them and they insisted it is my fault. I actually laughed at them. I have owned around 30-40 different instruments over the years. I have had and still have fine vintage instruments. The Cordoba is the only one that has ever had that problem. I do not recommend Cordoba.

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:29 pm

If I'm not mistaken Cordoba does have a new line of steel string guitars, its called "Guild". R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

bauersachs82

Post by bauersachs82 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:25 pm

beanctr wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:29 pm
If I'm not mistaken Cordoba does have a new line of steel string guitars, its called "Guild". R
I'm not sure if you are joking are not...

Guild has been around since the 1950's. They made very nice acoustic steel string guitars and electric guitars. Tons of famous artists have used their guitars. Over the years they fell into financial trouble and Fender bought them in the 1990's, shut down the American factory and moved production Asia. Cordoba recently aquired the brand from Fender and brought back some of the production to Oxnard, CA.

As for the D10 and D11, as far as I know they were discontinued a few years ago. If any are still floating around they are probably used, or never sold in the first place. They are not known for being very good.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:36 pm

Buy em cheap. Spanish heel and a steel string...I don't know. But then again if it's time to reset the neck on a brand new guitar yer not gonna be happy.

So measure it up. If it's cheap then it could be fun. Or just buy a vintage Guild...they are cheap enough, or an older Tacoma.

Sad all these modestly priced American made instruments all are being re-made to lesser quality. Not to say they are all bad, but yes the first generation of Guild guitars made not in the USA were terrible...Hope they get right this time.

Gilded Strings

Post by Gilded Strings » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:17 am

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I'll give Cordoba a miss.

Jealous at how many guitars some members on this forum have.

Eeveness612 are you more of a steel string or classical guitarist? BTW thanks for the confirming that my Alvarez was not a dud purchase.

eveness612

Post by eveness612 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:03 pm

I am more of an acoustic steel string player. That is 90% of my gigs. I have been studying CG since 1978. I have always wanted to be a better CG player, but I seem to always regress rather than inprove. Such is life. Enjoy the Alvarez. Good choice.

Gilded Strings

Post by Gilded Strings » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:48 am

Thanks for the reply.

We started the CG the same year 1978. I was about 9. Starting to practice more frequently now and improve my playing on the CG.
When I get a chance I hope to learn a couple of pieces on the 12 string. Love the tone.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”