Valuing Kenny Hill Guitar

wombosi
Amateur luthier

Valuing Kenny Hill Guitar

Post by wombosi » Wed May 29, 2019 10:36 pm

Hi all,

I've been playing a 2001 Kenny Hill Masters/Rodriguez model, spruce top with Macassar ebony back and sides.
On a short loan from my dad.
Really enjoying it. It's in very close to mint condition.

He has thought about/tried to sell it awhile back on the "bay" and there were no takers. Curious how you all would value this, as I'd consider buying it from him at the right price.

Thanks!

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Re: Valuing Kenny Hill Guitar

Post by Steve Ganz » Wed May 29, 2019 11:48 pm

I would check on reverb and e - b a y for comparables.
Steve

wombosi
Amateur luthier

Post by wombosi » Wed May 29, 2019 11:59 pm

Thanks.
I see a few around $2500, similar vintage. But I haven't seen one with the ebony back and sides. Not sure how much more valuable that would be, if at all.
Brune has one for $4,500, which has probably been there for years.

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu May 30, 2019 1:58 pm

Classical guitar pricing can be quite tricky and subjective. In the end it's really a matter of what one is willing to sell it for and how fast they want to sell it. Seeing it is from your dad, I'd simply ask him what he is willing to let it go for. He might give you a great deal!

Subjectively I'd personally price it around $4k based on my knowledge of Kenny Hills guitars. If I really liked the guitar and wanted to buy it myself, that is as high as I'd go, but would preferably want it lower. If I were buying blind online without being able to try in person, I wouldn't go beyond $3k.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”