New Reproduction Rene Lacote Romantic style guitar

therebelartist

New Reproduction Rene Lacote Romantic style guitar

Post by therebelartist » Thu May 30, 2019 5:53 pm

Has anyone played or purchased a New Reproduction Rene Lacote style Romantic guitar? If so, who would you recommend from the various luthiers making these guitars, taking into consideration the quality of sound and workmanship and from which retailer? Thank you in advance.
1965 Condal - Classical 650mm (sold)
1972 Martin Fleeson (sold)
2014 Lester Backshall - Recital 1B - 640mm

powderedtoastman

Re: New Reproduction Rene Lacote Romantic style guitar

Post by powderedtoastman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:03 pm

There aren't typically any retailers for these. The closest thing you'll find through a retailer is the Raimundo Romantica. It looks OK for a budget romantic instrument but I don't know that it's the most authentic thing I've seen out there and I can't vouch for the playability and sound as I haven't seen one in person.

Typically you'll be able to get these from the luthier directly. In Europe there is Jan Tulacek and Bernhard Kresse.
I've heard that Kresse's instruments are on the expensive side, and I've heard that Tulacek gives a more budget friendly price but he has a very long waiting list. Some very good pro players play instruments from both of these guys and you can find some nice sounds on Youtube and some recorded albums.

There's also Carlos Juan Busquiel in Spain whose guitar I've seen played by Cecilio Perera, who is a very good guitarist. It has some little quirks that take away from the perfect authenticity visually speaking (in my opinion) but looks and sounds like a good guitar anyway.

In the UK there is Gary Southwell, he may be a bit expensive but he does have a good reputation.

In North America, there is Scot Tremblay (whose guitars I play) and up and coming builder Miodrag Zerdoner in Canada, and Michael Thames and Jack Sanders in the US.
Sometimes if you are like a hawk on the online marketplace you can find used reproductions or even original period instruments available for sale, so you just have to learn where to keep an eye out and be diligent for a while.

There's also Justin White in Australia who had a pretty reasonable price last I checked. I've tried one of his terz guitars, and it was pretty good for what he charges.

BTW if you are interested in a Lacote style, you may also consider a Stauffer/Viennese style. It has a bit of a different sound quality that I rather like. To my ear it's a little more resonant and brilliant, but they both have their wonderful charm anyway.
The Viennese instruments also typically come with an adjustable neck, which is an amazingly convenient feature.

Hopefully this helps!

therebelartist

Post by therebelartist » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:40 pm

Hi There powderedtoastman,

Thank you for your reply with lots of very helpful information for me to check out and research over the net.
It has given me lots to work on and to consider. I appreciate it. :merci:
1965 Condal - Classical 650mm (sold)
1972 Martin Fleeson (sold)
2014 Lester Backshall - Recital 1B - 640mm

BrunoB

Post by BrunoB » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:32 pm

Also, try Martin de Witte in The Hague. He makes a Stauffer copy as well as other 19th century guitars. He is very helpful. I have one of his Stauffer models and it is well-made and very nice to play!

crisscross

Post by crisscross » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:33 pm

I have a Lacôte-style guitar made by Martin Okenica in Slovakia.
Waiting time was 6 months and it cost me about 2000 Euros including
shipping and planetary tuners. I chose a body made of maple, but he also
offers other options. I'm no expert in Early Romantic Guitars, but I like mine:

And if you want to hear an Okenica made Lacôte style guitar played by someone
who knows how to handle these instruments: Marek Cupak does Okenica's international
correspondence and plays a Lacôte style guitar with a darker body wood:

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”