Can anyone help identify this guitar?

AraSark

Can anyone help identify this guitar?

Post by AraSark » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:59 am

Hi guys, I was in a local music shop and found this unlabeled guitar. It was made in Japan, cedar, and what I suspect to be Brazilian Rosewood. The fingerboard honestly didn't look to be ebony, more like rosewood. It was thick too, much thicker than the slim yamaha necks or my c10s neck. Unfortunately, in my excitement, I didn't snap a picture of the guitar itself. Its label was missing, and it was obvious there was some rather suspect work done.

It was left out on display for years apparently, and I'm not sure if that's affected the sound or the structural integrity of the guitar (which I don't have the utmost confidence in).

Here's the thing though, the guitar sounded killer, much better than the SP/IN C10 I'm playin right now. For the price it's listed at, it seems like a good deal. All I can provide are the pictures of the rosette and bridge, is there anyone that can take a stab at trying to identify what this might be?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lovemyguitar

Re: Can anyone help identify this guitar?

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:03 pm

AraSark wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:59 am
...it was obvious there was some rather suspect work done.

It was left out on display for years apparently, and I'm not sure if that's affected the sound or the structural integrity of the guitar (which I don't have the utmost confidence in).
That would be a reason not to buy it.
AraSark wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:59 am
...Here's the thing though, the guitar sounded killer, much better than the SP/IN C10 I'm playin right now. For the price it's listed at, it seems like a good deal. ...
And yet, that would be a reason to go for it! It all depends on the price and your willingness to take a chance.

With that fingerboard, it is likely to be a lower-end guitar, but again, if you loved it and it sounded great, does it really matter? -- your call!

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:27 pm

Headstock picture would help. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:37 pm

If the sound is good and the price is right, just do it. You are buying a tool for making music, not a status symbol.

Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:44 pm

Second on the headstock photo. There appears to be a line of unfinished wood on the bass side of the bridge. A re-glue job? Nothing wrong with that as long as the only issue was the bridge needed re-gluing as compared to the bridge pulled out and took chunks of wood with it. As to the Rosewood fret board, there is nothing inherently wrong with using Rosewood as long as there are no divots in the wood which is something it is more prone to have as compared to Ebony. A lot of Japanese guitars used Rosewood. It appears there is enough bone to lower the action if the current action is within acceptable limits. If the sound is killer and it seems structurally sound then it sounds like a good deal.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”