Try many guitars or have one built?

souldier

Re: Try many guitars or have one built?

Post by souldier » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:48 pm

Guitar-ded wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:44 pm
If you're looking for a darker sound then maybe take a look at Kohno/Sakurai guitars. They can be picked up used in your budget.
I personally woudn't describe kohno/sakurai guitars as having a "darker" sound. Though this just highlights how terms can mean different things to people and how our ears can also hear differently.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:59 pm

I strongly recommend not commissioning directly from a luthier without at least playing one, and preferably several of their instruments. I know what it is like to purchase an instrument purely on videos, reviews, professional recommendations, etc. and it didn't turn out well. There is just far too much subjectivity involved that in the end the safest bet is to put a guitar in your lap and try it yourself, and comparing it directly with your guitar and other instruments. For this reason, I'd definitely try to find a dealer with a wide selection of instruments and choosing one that really speaks to you. Just imagine the heart ache of waiting several months or years for a commissioned instrument from a luthier whose instruments you have never tried, only to discover the guitar doesn't meet your expectations and now you either have to try to return the instrument to the luthier, or sell it at a loss, wishing you had spent your money elsewhere.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

robert e

Post by robert e » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:09 am

RenaissanceStrings wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:01 am
I have decided that I will be going to all the aforementioned guitar dealers and trying out the options, which they have available in my budget or even a little over it.
An enviable chore. Enjoy the journey, and good luck!

For what it's worth, Christopher Parkening advised his students not to commission guitars.

madrilla

Post by madrilla » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:09 am

Depending on your location, would it be possible to visit Jellinghaus? Their premises are close to Guangzhou airport. They have a model Espanola 1a which is inspired by Ramirez.

RenaissanceStrings

Post by RenaissanceStrings » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:21 pm

souldier wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:59 pm
I strongly recommend not commissioning directly from a luthier without at least playing one, and preferably several of their instruments. I know what it is like to purchase an instrument purely on videos, reviews, professional recommendations, etc. and it didn't turn out well. There is just far too much subjectivity involved that in the end the safest bet is to put a guitar in your lap and try it yourself, and comparing it directly with your guitar and other instruments. For this reason, I'd definitely try to find a dealer with a wide selection of instruments and choosing one that really speaks to you. Just imagine the heart ache of waiting several months or years for a commissioned instrument from a luthier whose instruments you have never tried, only to discover the guitar doesn't meet your expectations and now you either have to try to return the instrument to the luthier, or sell it at a loss, wishing you had spent your money elsewhere.
That is sound advice sir and I will be taking it. I have decided to take two days out of my trip and go into the classical guitar stores, trying out as many instruments as possible before making my decision. I'm bound to find something and it may well be something I hadn't considered.

Thank you for your advice.

Mohsin

RenaissanceStrings

Post by RenaissanceStrings » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:24 pm

madrilla wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:09 am
Depending on your location, would it be possible to visit Jellinghaus? Their premises are close to Guangzhou airport. They have a model Espanola 1a which is inspired by Ramirez.
I am in the north of China and Guangzhou is around 2200km away. I have decided to go and try out the instruments in London as I am bound to find an instrument, which captivates me.
I thank you for your time.

Mohsin

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”