Travelguitar solid or laminate? Which one is stronger?

GuidoGitarist

Travelguitar solid or laminate? Which one is stronger?

Post by GuidoGitarist » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi fellow guitar players,

I've got a question on wether to go for solid or laminate for my travel guitar. I'm looking into cheap second hand guitars, but I see full laminated and solid top'd around the same price ranges.
It's a guitar that will see some warm sun when it's packed in my car, it will also see my storage room which can get like 5 degrees.

Is full laminated stronger when exposed to temperature changes?

Warm regards,

Guido
2013 Perez Luthier India 'Abeto'
Flamenco player

Lovemyguitar

Re: Travelguitar solid or laminate? Which one is stronger?

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:11 am

For what it's worth, I have a cheap solid-top that I've travelled with -- by plane from the frigid north to the tropics, and also in my car in heat, cold, you name it -- and I've never had a problem with it, it seems pretty indestructible. Cheap guitars usually have pretty thick poly finish on them, and that probably helps a lot, regardless of whether it has a solid or laminated top.

Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:15 am

car + summer + dark case = glue becoming soft and all the nasty things that go along with that. I suspect solid or laminate is not an issue when the glue becomes soft and braces become loose or the back falls off. Then again, those cheap guitars are probably made with some form of indestructible glue. I would imagine the ideal beach guitar would be something along the lines of a cordoba c7 or one of the old models such as the 50R. Over built to handle the abuses of beaches, campgrounds, etc. yet they sound reasonably good.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

GuidoGitarist

Post by GuidoGitarist » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:55 am

Good to hear I can just choose a cheap one and that it doesn't really matter what it is 8-) I'll let you know what I pick eventually!
Flamenco player

Bowie.

Post by Bowie. » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:19 pm

Cheap guitars are always going to be *meh* but since you specifically have temp changes in mind, laminates are less likely to crack from what I've seen. One of the most impressive was one I played at a horse ranch in a Northern Arizona where the humidity was something like 8% RH the day I arrived and was raining buckets 2 days later. That laminate guitar was crack free despite having gone through swings that for years.

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:20 am

In terms of durability, laminate for sure. A guitar with a laminate top will not be subject to having cracks in the top due to low humidity and will generally be more robust.

With that said, I had an inexpensive all laminate guitar with thick poly finish that I left in a car on a hot summer day causing the bridge to bow and partially lift... a few minutes longer and it probably would have ripped off completely. Lesson learned. A guitar being laminate or overbuilt does not make it indestructible. I wouldn't leave any guitar, no matter how cheap, in a parked car when there are extreme hot temperatures outside. Remember that when you tune a guitar up to pitch, there is 80-100 lbs of tension pulling on the soundboard... couple that with high heat and you are asking for disaster. Cold temps shouldn't be an issue.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

GuidoGitarist

Post by GuidoGitarist » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. I won't be leaving it in my car when it's parked, but it will be during traveling, so probably with aircon it will not be reaching the temperatures it's gonna break down completely 8-) the laminates always sound meh haha so true!

I can get my hands on a Admira Sara Ec which I can get really cheap.
Flamenco player

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:34 pm

I agree.. Go for a cheap solid top.

It will sound better. And still should hold up within reason.

I do prefer laminate steel strings when traveling. Steel strings are more finicky in my experience.
Cordoba CP110
https://youtu.be/AJsinZ8LLhE

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:25 pm

GuidoGitarist wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:19 pm
Thanks for the replies. I won't be leaving it in my car when it's parked, but it will be during traveling, so probably with aircon it will not be reaching the temperatures it's gonna break down completely 8-) the laminates always sound meh haha so true!

I can get my hands on a Admira Sara Ec which I can get really cheap.
Just keep in mind that even inexpensive solid tops will need to be humidified and cared for more or less as you would care for a more expensive instrument. The only difference is it is less painful if damage does occur since you spent less on it.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”