Oud

wannabe

Oud

Post by wannabe » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:03 pm

In January I will be traveling to Egypt and Israel. I thought it would be fun to pick up an Oud while I was there. I have never played one but rather than typical "catchkees' I would get something meaningful Does anyone have a lead of who to go to while I am there? I believe I would be looking for an Arab Oud. Thanks in advance of any thoughts!

jayjayrose

Re: Oud

Post by jayjayrose » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:26 am

Be careful! There are lots of cheaply made instruments that are covered in bling but are shoddily made, etc. If you are just looking for a wall decoration, you won't be disappointed. For a good instrument, find someone who plays the oud and ask them where you could get a nice one.
I have two ouds, one from Damascus (it's very warped and is nowadays just decoration, and a Turkish one from Istanbul which I have played for many years. Good luck!
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

Ricflair

Post by Ricflair » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:52 am

wannabe wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:03 pm
In January I will be traveling to Egypt and Israel. I thought it would be fun to pick up an Oud while I was there. I have never played one but rather than typical "catchkees' I would get something meaningful Does anyone have a lead of who to go to while I am there? I believe I would be looking for an Arab Oud. Thanks in advance of any thoughts!
I have a friend who plays oud well. He bought his in Brooklyn/NYC. You might want to try finding one in the USA.
Graduate of Trump University School of Music.

jmb1983

Post by jmb1983 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:01 pm

Oudforguitarists.com might be a helpful resource. It’s run by a guy named Navid, who started as a guitarist before transitioning to Oud. He has articles and lessons on there. Here is a link where he speaks of some Oud luthiers throughout the world http://www.oudforguitarists.com/oud-mak ... s-guide-2/

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”