Guitar options around 500$?

Classique

Guitar options around 500$?

Post by Classique » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:25 am

I have a couple of questions, since I am fairly new to classical guitar as a whole I will preface this with I used to own a Cordoba C7, and while it sounded great for the price I didn't love the guitar. I have recently gone out and played different models of guitars, and the ones I have enjoyed the most were the La Patrie Etude and the Alhambra 10 P. Both are listed at 399 retail, and I thoroughly enjoyed them so much more than any Cordoba or Yamaha in the price range, as well as the one Kremona. I felt like they were better built guitars (the La Patrie overbuilt which felt incredible) and I enjoyed the sound more too. I do love the fact that the Alhambra is made in Spain and La Patrie is made in Canada. I do know that Indonesian quality has drastically improved over the years but I would love to support a company that keeps their guitars in their country of origin.

I think I have decided between these two guitars, but I am open to other suggestions. I do have some questions, with the Etude, there is a Q1T pick up option on it, and I know using a microphone is superior to the pick up, how much of the sound is impacted by the pick up? Is it worth the price difference between the standard model and the Q1 (399 vs 540+)?

Any other suggestions? Is there one you would prefer over the other? I am thinking it's a toss up. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)
“Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”

-Fredric Chopin

simonm

Re: Guitar options around 500$?

Post by simonm » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:50 am

I don't know any of these guitars. The general rule is choose based on the sound you like and the playability as you feel it. If the cheaper guitar seems better to you, get that one. Ideally get someone else to play it for you so you can hear the sons from the listener perspective too. If you can bring your own guitar with you when you test, so much the better, you will have a comparison point.

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:56 am

Classique wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:25 am
I have recently gone out and played different models of guitars, and the ones I have enjoyed the most were the La Patrie Etude and the Alhambra 10 P. Both are listed at 399 retail,...

I think you got the Alhambra model wrong, even used a 10P is not a 400$ guitar (new it is like 1600€..) :bye:

bear

Post by bear » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:13 am

Both of my Rodriquez guitars were less than $500 (used). One I got on bay and the other from G ctr.. I've had a dozen or more that I've bought for less that that.
2019 Gretsch G9126 432mm
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

robert e

Post by robert e » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:42 pm

Mr.Rain wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:56 am
Classique wrote:
I have recently gone out and played different models of guitars, and the ones I have enjoyed the most were the La Patrie Etude and the Alhambra 10 P. Both are listed at 399 retail,...

I think you got the Alhambra model wrong, even used a 10P is not a 400$ guitar (new it is like 1600€..) :bye:
In that case, buy that one. Quick!

Seriously, it sounds like you can't go wrong either way, so for $500 it's time to consider things like color, trim, feel, smell, nationality and so on. Or, more practically, warranty length, customer support, case options, etc.

Pickups are nice for live gigs when a mic isn't practical. If you won't have that need, I wouldn't bother with the cost, weight, and potential sonic and structural compromise, since decent aftermarket options are available for occasional use, and at these price points you're not getting best of breed. Regardless, you want to listen to any particular pickup+preamp+EQ+amp+speakers combo to decide if the tone is acceptable to you. If it's one of those music superstores, you'll be able to try it out with the equipment situations you'll likely encounter, and compare with other options.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:49 pm

Classique wrote:

I think I have decided between these two guitars, but I am open to other suggestions. I do have some questions, with the Etude, there is a Q1T pick up option on it, and I know using a microphone is superior to the pick up, how much of the sound is impacted by the pick up? Is it worth the price difference between the standard model and the Q1 (399 vs 540+)?

Any other suggestions? Is there one you would prefer over the other? I am thinking it's a toss up. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)
I'd throw a Takamine C-132 into the mix, as I saw one listed in Re verb now, in your price range. However, it is kind of against the general principle "try before buy", although I heard, never experienced myself, the option to return when buying with Re verb.

Classique

Post by Classique » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:41 pm

Sorry, it's apparently a 1 OP

That was the model I am speaking of.

I am very thankful for the recommendations, I'll go check em out today :)
robert e wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:42 pm

In that case, buy that one. Quick!

Seriously, it sounds like you can't go wrong either way, so for $500 it's time to consider things like color, trim, feel, smell, nationality and so on. Or, more practically, warranty length, customer support, case options, etc.

Pickups are nice for live gigs when a mic isn't practical. If you won't have that need, I wouldn't bother with the cost, weight, and potential sonic and structural compromise, since decent aftermarket options are available for occasional use, and at these price points you're not getting best of breed. Regardless, you want to listen to any particular pickup+preamp+EQ+amp+speakers combo to decide if the tone is acceptable to you. If it's one of those music superstores, you'll be able to try it out with the equipment situations you'll likely encounter, and compare with other options.
I've been going to guitar shops and super stores. The bigger stores generally don't see to have much outside of Cordoba around here. I was wondering about the sound compromise from the pick up, especially at the price point. Ideally I would mic up, but a microphone and new amp will cost more. I already have a 50 watt tube amp but if I am going to be recording I might as well just buy an interface. It's just a much cheaper route and post editing I can clean it up quite a bit.
“Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”

-Fredric Chopin

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:50 am

Don't settle for mass produced stuff. Keep looking and treat that 500$ as if it's not going to be wasted on mass produced junk.

I believe bargains happen. The problem is people have something worth 500$ and they want 650 for it. I see lots of these nice Araya and Yairi guitars that's what I'd seek out. For the money they are much better. But they had all sorts of odd things. Mine is rosewood sides with a bookmatched veneer back and sides.

With a little luck you could find a nice guitar. Something that sounds better and will always have it's value. Kremona make pretty guitars but they are just so stiff and lifeless.

If you don't want to study classical guitar then the La Patrie would probably fine. That is to say you want a fun working persons tool to record, play shows, toss around etc.
I'd even recommend it with the lesser woods.

Heck I'd opt for the Concert model...go for the gusto if you like their stuff. The mahogany is nice.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”