Jaun Alverez guitar Bridge woes

barisaxer

Jaun Alverez guitar Bridge woes

Post by barisaxer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:45 pm

I have a Juan Alvarez guitar studio Y profesionales. I received it with some pretty light strings. I put on some heavier strings and wow :shock: what sound but a few days later the top was bowing below the bridge. I immediately detuned it and took it to my luthier. He showed me it was missing a brace and the brace was never there or never glued in. I have some good pictures to illustrate the problem. Has any one ever dealt with them on anything or any advice on how to try to pursue this? Lovely guitar I have hope of getting it working right as it has a great voice. Thanks :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lovemyguitar

Re: Jaun Alverez guitar Bridge woes

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:57 am

It is not missing a brace. That little space on the kerfing would be for a back brace: the factory must have used the same pre-cut kerfing for both the top and the back -- you can see how it is used for the heavier back brace in your photo. I have attached a picture of a fan-braced guitar top (similar to yours) so that you can see the typical and much thinner bracing on the lower bout portion of the top.

I do not know why your top bowed -- too much tension, perhaps, or some other problem not obvious from what you've said/shown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

barisaxer

Post by barisaxer » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:50 am

Thanks I will invetigate further but at least I feel safer restinging with normal tension strings.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:22 am

Which brace did your luthier say is missing? Your pics do not show all the braces.

Is your's a Cedar top? I have one of the same model, no date on the label but it is at least a 1983 -1984, that's when I purchased it used (but looked practically new) for $100 from a couple who brought it back from Spain during their vacation. It has beautiful Brazilian rosewood back and sides and a Cedar top.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”