Lattice Braced guitar for $2000

earl

Lattice Braced guitar for $2000

Post by earl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:45 am

Hi, I've been wanting to upgrade my Aria AC 80 guitar for some time now and I saw this item from e b a y (item no. 200456032395). It's a lattice braced arched back classical cedar top, selling for only $2000. the guitar looks attractive and solidly built. But I can't seem to find any info about the maker Steve Reiner. Anybody else owns or has tried his guitars??

Thanks for the help.

Earl

Robert Webster

Re: Lattice Braced guitar for $2000

Post by Robert Webster » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:55 am

Well, mate, type in Steve Reiner guitars into Bing and you come up with this link: http://www.guitarsalonasia.com/portal/i ... selections.

Bob

earl

Post by earl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:33 am

thanks Robert. The website looks suspicious though, there are no other sources of info about the luthier other than that site. Anybody else got any info?

JohnAbercrombie

Post by JohnAbercrombie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:47 am

There was a discussion here at delcamp that mentioned 'Steve Reiner'

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39935

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:17 am

These Singapore-based e - b a y sellers of Smallman-style and Hauser-style guitars have been discussed before. They're Chinese factory-made knock-offs of poor quality. One forum member bought one and was very disappointed with it.

They were originally sold under the guise of having been handmade by a little-known Spanish luthier. "Steve Reiner" is their latest incarnation.

earl

Post by earl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:43 am

Oh gosh, thanks for the warning everyone. I would have bid on the guitar already, but thanks now I know it's a scam. That guy from Guitar Salon Asia, is probably the same guy selling this guitar. And there is one thread here where one user named "Tom" tried to promote Guitar Salon Asia(viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49449&p=533809&hil ... re#p533519), he's probably the same guy, sorry if I'm mistaken.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:17 am

if i am not mistaken, the gentleman also sells "Jose Antonio Lopez" as well as "Domingo Sanchez" guitars.

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:14 pm

I now remember that "Jose Antonio Lopez" was the "Spanish luthier" name that these guitars were first attributed to. Seller sold the guitars with a "certificate of authenticity". The guitars are exactly the same.

earl

Post by earl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:11 pm

take a look at this where "Tom" is selling a Contreras double top viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46018&p=505965#p505965 and then take a look at guitar salon asia's website under guitars for sale..same guitar. This Tom is indeed the guy from guitar salon asia

rshanscom

Post by rshanscom » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Just a suggestion, but instead of risking an auction buy why not check around online for up and coming luthiers who are making lattice braced guitars. An example that comes to mind would be Kris Barnett. He makes a great looking and sounding lattice guitar for $2900.00. I'm sure there are others. Just a thought.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:37 pm

To Earl

Just a matter of interest - have you researched into the pros and cons of lattice brace eg louder, good harmonics vs poor tone/colour variation, repair complexity?

(applies mainly for lattice braced super thin tops).

Or are you looking for a more traditional lattice brace - normal top with lattice bracing?

earl

Post by earl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi Rshanscom, I've actually looked at Kris Barnett's website and yeah, bidding on e - b a y probably wasn't such a good idea.

To guitarseller34564, yes I have, I am aware of the difference in sound and tone quality of a lattice guitar but I think a player with a good RH attack can make a lattice braced guitar sound really well. I have really hooked nails, but I have a good attack and can play with a very good tone (can't play any fast pieces though), so I guess such a guitar(Smallman copy) would suit me just fine.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

EARL

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:48 am

Several recent posts have been removed from this thread because of intemperate accusations against forum members and others. Rather than removing the thread completely I have locked it and left it in place as it includes some useful discussion.

One post that has been removed makes the point that Singapore is known to be the base for some fraudulent guitar sellers and that the Internet is rife with this kind of deception. I'm no judge of this comment myself, but it seems to have been made on the basis of some knowledge.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”