What to buy

Adrian

What to buy

Post by Adrian » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Dear Luthiers,

I am keen to buy a beautiful, hand made, faultlessly crafted, bright, but even toned guitar, french-polished to a degree of perfection (etc... add your own superlatives) but of course I would like to get said guitar for £3000 or so, cos I'm not rich and I'm mean as hell.

So I thought this might be the place to start looking. Only one rule in answering this post, don't try to sell me your guitars! recommend someone else :D

Adrian

James Lister
Luthier

Re: What to buy

Post by James Lister » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:07 pm

You want luthiers to recommend other luthiers???
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Tom Blackshear

Post by Tom Blackshear » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Adrian wrote:Dear Luthiers,

I am keen to buy a beautiful, hand made, faultlessly crafted, bright, but even toned guitar, french-polished to a degree of perfection (etc... add your own superlatives) but of course I would like to get said guitar for £3000 or so, cos I'm not rich and I'm mean as hell.

So I thought this might be the place to start looking. Only one rule in answering this post, don't try to sell me your guitars! recommend someone else :D

Adrian
You might try and locate a Francisco Navarro guitar to your liking. I'm trying to get him to move his shop to San Antonio Texas where we can stay in touch with the on going styles he is now building, Manuel Reyes, Fleta style and a few more. His prices are right at what you want to pay. You could probably order one from La Sonata guitars in Europe. Navarro builds an excellent Fleta style classical and you can order French polish if you prefer. Also, his current Reyes flamenco style is one of the best I've seen.

Tom Blackshear guitar maker

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:33 pm

James Lister wrote:You want luthiers to recommend other luthiers???
Go on, you can do it, if you try really really hard

Robert Webster

Post by Robert Webster » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Adrian, I gotta tell ya, I'm totally surprised that you even got one nice reply given your original post. What planet are you on? Why would someone go out of their way on a very civilized forum like this to accomodate someone who describes themselves as "mean as hell"? Besides which, isn't it really up to the players to recommend luthiers?

Bob

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Adrian wrote:
James Lister wrote:You want luthiers to recommend other luthiers???
Go on, you can do it, if you try really really hard
OK - here is a short list of luthiers whose guitars I really like. Some of them will be outside your price range I expect, although second hand might be a possibility.

Tony Johnson - stunning workmanship, and beautiful sounding traditional guitars from a maker who's not as well known as he should be.
Gary Southwell - 'A' series very impressive, but I prefer his Hauser based guitars.
Simon Ambridge - I've only played one, but it was a VERY nice guitar.
David Merrin - not just a very good player (see the "Sound of Spain" recording for Granary Guitars), also a luthier, and has a guitar in the Granary collection which I really like.
Marcus Dominelli (Canada) - Forum member - makes beautiful guitars, only had the chance to play one briefly at the GFA a few years ago, but was impressed.
Dake Traphagen (USA) - also based on only a brief tryout at the GFA, but undoubtedly very good guitars.

That's all I can think of at the moment - there are undoubtedly many other good makers on this forum, but sadly I haven't had the chance to try their guitars.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:23 pm

Stephen Eden, Oren Myers, Les Backshall, Earl Marsh; I've had my hands on great guitars from all of these - and you see from my signature that I own a guitar from one of them :)

And, from personal experience I would support James Lister's recommendation of David Merrin and Tony Johnson - and, of course, James himself makes brilliant guitars :!:

(I'm assuming, as you mention a price in pounds, that you are in the UK).
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Post by Alan Carruth » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:54 pm

I don't know what the exchange rate is now, but you might at least take a look at Aaron Green's instruments. Remember, when buying a guitar you should always spend just a little more than you think you can afford.... :wink:

Stephen Eden
Luthier

Post by Stephen Eden » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:51 pm

Well fortunately I have had a mention! (thanks Pogmoor!) I would like to recommend 3 others that havent been mentioned on the board. Pablo Reqena, Stephen Hill and Rohan Lowe. I regard them all as very fine makers. As are all the other makers on this forum!

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:44 am

Robert Webster wrote:Adrian, I gotta tell ya, I'm totally surprised that you even got one nice reply given your original post. What planet are you on? Why would someone go out of their way on a very civilized forum like this to accomodate someone who describes themselves as "mean as hell"? Besides which, isn't it really up to the players to recommend luthiers?

Bob
Hey Bob, sorry if i made the wrong impression, I'm quite cuddly really. Difficult to convey irony in a post perhaps, but if I was 'mean as hell' I probably wouldn't say so...

I think it's interesting to hear what luthiers the luthiers themselves are impressed by. Also since makers are aware of the market they will know who is producing instruments in any given price range. Anyway, thank you gents for the info so far, the websites I have checked out look very interesting, and the guitars very beautiful. It is certainly informative when luthiers embed MP3s of their guitars being played.

Thanks again

Adrian

carlos

Post by carlos » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:34 pm

Adrian wrote:Only one rule in answering this post, don't try to sell me your guitars! recommend someone else
After saying this, and having luthiers respond so gracefully, recommending guitars made by other luthiers, says a lot in regards to their humbleness, when most luthiers who participate in this forum are really talented people who build great classical guitars. Glad that you softened the tone in the later posts.

TomS

Post by TomS » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:27 pm

Great post. Thanks to James, Allan and Stephen, I will consider you three in future purchase. :)

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:41 pm

Adrian wrote: Anyway, thank you gents for the info so far, the websites I have checked out look very interesting, and the guitars very beautiful.
Let us know when you buy your guitar and tell us how you come to make a choice :)
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

carlos

Post by carlos » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:59 pm

If it's UK you wish, apart from the respected luthiers suggested above, another two: James Lister who apart of constructing impressive guitars at decent prices has the generosity of sharing his knowledge, as you can well verify from his multiple posts in this forum, and Adrian Lucas whose radial guitars are very good.

sheldon2012

Post by sheldon2012 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:46 am

I would suggest reading Chris Kamen's review of Bastien Burlot's guitars.

http://www.classicguitar.com/c-10Burlot.html

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”