What to buy

sheldon2012

Re: What to buy

Post by sheldon2012 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:23 pm

I am curious to hear an Elman Conception guitar. Does anyone have any feedback they can offer. I can't find a website or any info regarding his guitars. I am always looking for a great sounding guitar. I know I read he is backlogged a year but how do you even place an order. There is nothing on the web regarding his guitars....

R. Riley

Post by R. Riley » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:37 pm

I would echo a comment from one of the other posters; Dake Traphagen. His instruments are some of the best values you will find, in my opinion.

jstroud

Post by jstroud » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:56 pm

traphagen terrific but you would have to find a used one to get it for 3000 pounds. most go for $7-10k depending on woods, top construction etc

Jonathonbennett

Post by Jonathonbennett » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:57 am

Tom Blackshear wrote:
Adrian wrote:Dear Luthiers,

I am keen to buy a beautiful, hand made, faultlessly crafted, bright, but even toned guitar, french-polished to a degree of perfection (etc... add your own superlatives) but of course I would like to get said guitar for £3000 or so, cos I'm not rich and I'm mean as hell.

So I thought this might be the place to start looking. Only one rule in answering this post, don't try to sell me your guitars! recommend someone else :D

Adrian
You might try and locate a Francisco Navarro guitar to your liking. I'm trying to get him to move his shop to San Antonio Texas where we can stay in touch with the on going styles he is now building, Manuel Reyes, Fleta style and a few more. His prices are right at what you want to pay. You could probably order one from La Sonata guitars in Europe. Navarro builds an excellent Fleta style classical and you can order French polish if you prefer. Also, his current Reyes flamenco style is one of the best I've seen.

Tom Blackshear guitar maker
I have just bought a guitar by James Lister, maple sides and back, its brilliant and I have had a few, highly advise this maker.

carlos

Post by carlos » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:32 pm

Jonathonbennett, post pictures of your new guitar by Lister.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:32 pm

In addition to all the fine luthiers already mentioned, I would add Peter Tsiorba.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:31 am

carlos wrote:Jonathonbennett, post pictures of your new guitar by Lister.
Since Jonathon hasn't got round to replying - there are some photos of his guitar on my website here:

http://www.jameslisterguitars.co.uk/Lis ... lery2.html

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”