Best classical guitars in a price range

danjepp

Best classical guitars in a price range

Post by danjepp » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Hello,

My name is Daniel Epp and I am new to these forums. I have played acoustic guitar for about 2 years and the classical guitar for a bit less than a year. Though I'm not too big of a fan of "classical" music in general, I really enjoy playing pieces written for the classical guitar (the ones I can for that matter). I've recently saved up enough money (~$1500) to make my first "big" purchase of a classical guitar. I currently play a Cordoba C5-CE which is an entry level cedar top guitar I got over at Guitar Center. I really like the tone that the guitar produces, but I would like to move up to the next level. There is a really nice Classical Guitar shop here in Tucson where I live, but when I walk in, there is such a plethora of instruments in my price range that I really don't even know where to start.

I was wondering if the members of this forum could give me some ideas of good instruments/manufacturers in this price range to look at? What features should I be most concerned with? Moreover, what are the primary benefits that instruments at this level offer over the instrument I currently possess. The salesman at the store is a professional classical guitarist/teacher and is very helpful, but I hate to just take salesmen at their word without consulting a few other sources.

If this question has already been posed a million times, please forgive me and throw me a link. :)

Thank you,
- Daniel

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Best classical guitars in a price range

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi Daniel and welcome!

Yup, you guessed it. Lots of our members come here for advice on what to buy. Here's a link to the latest thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55717 . This one's gotten some good suggestions so far, and the member also has a $1,500 budget.

If you poke around in the Luthier's forum and Public Space, you should be able to find more.

May I invite you to tell us a bit more about yourself in the "Introduce yourself" section here ?

You will get a proper welcome and some tips on how to get the most out of the Forum.

Have fun!

Alan

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:07 am

danjepp wrote:There is a really nice Classical Guitar shop here in Tucson where I live, but when I walk in, there is such a plethora of instruments in my price range that I really don't even know where to start.

The salesman at the store is a professional classical guitarist/teacher and is very helpful, but I hate to just take salesmen at their word without consulting a few other sources.
What are some of your choices? I can't imagine any shop that specializes in classical guitars having a "plethora" of guitars in that range. Most seem to cater to more high-end luthier made guitars. For $1500 you are not going to find many (if any) hand made guitars unless you're looking at used, which is not a bad way to go. You'll get more "bang for your buck" with used. What is the name of the shop? Perhaps someone here is familiar with it.

Guitars are all individuals. What suits me might not be to your liking and vice versa. Have the salesman play each for you so you can listen to it objectively. Then try each one yourself.

JayTheAppDev

Post by JayTheAppDev » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:53 am

That sounds like a great opportunity to see for yourself which guitar you like the best. From my own observations moving from the guitar you have now to your target price range will afford you features such as ebony fret boards, and possible bridge as well. Solid rosewood back and side as opposed to a laminated back and sides. Possibly better tuners, and many guitars come with a hard shell case with built in humidifier which is a plus if you live in Az. I used to live in Las Vegas and that climate is murder on anything wood. If it were me I would ask that salesman to show you everything he has that falls into your price range and under the general criteria I listed above, maybe report back here about what you liked (I would love to know :D) or just go for it if it feels right.

Cheers

rever

Post by rever » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:14 am

Maybe you could check out a TP 30 Pavan. There are sound samples on the web site.

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:07 pm

My suggestion: In the price range you are consider concentrate in the quality of the material used - like the woods, bone nut and saddle, etc.Not on the "looks" that will not have any effect on the sound (but often times have an effect on the buyer). Try as many as you can find available in your area. It is the guitar you will have to live-with until your next step-up. If you ask us in this forum we most likely give you what we like rather than what we have discovered based on our experiences to "stay-away-from". "Brand-Name" should not be part of the selection process (unless you are in the trade-in business) Go for sound and overall playability.

danjepp

Post by danjepp » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Thanks for all the information and suggestions. The link to the other thread posted was really helpful. The store doesn't open again until Tuesday, but I feel a lot more confident. The name of the shop is the Southwest Guitar Studio. When I said "plethora" I didn't necessarily mean guitars just at the $1500 price point, but below and a bit above as well. They are really pushing the Ramirez R1 but it didn't jump out at me as something spectacular and the playability felt quite poor compared to my Cordoba. Maybe I'm just more used to the lower action (not that this couldn't be changed on the R1). I'm not so necessarily concerned with price, but sound quality. I was just wondering what guitars people were really impressed with around this level.

Thanks,
- Daniel

PS. I'll get back to everyone tomorrow with the instruments I try out and my thoughts.

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Of interest to know how the current used CG market in the $1200 to $1700. range is going go to Guitar Center Used Classical Guitars in their Web site _ They list all of theirs present stock available in all their stores nationwide. Look over and see if you find something of interest to you then call the store to get more specific details. I have found good used "values" in the past for some of my CG's. They also have a reasonable return policy. You couid set any price range you want to eliminate others and also save time browsing.

danjepp

Post by danjepp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:08 pm

I went down to the shop today and found I had confused the Ramirez R1 with the Hernandez Estudio model in my head. While I wasn't terribly impressed with the guitar on my initial visit. Upon comparing it with an Alhambra 7p and a couple other guitars in this range, I was very impressed with the tone of the Hernandez. It resonated with me much like my Taylor steel string did when I tried it out. It definitely has a different playing feel than my Cordoba, but was much more comfortable this time around and it's actually a bit cheaper than I intended to spend. I think I'll chalk up my last experience to nervousness being around a bunch of really talented musicians. I'm going to sleep on it tonight and drop by tomorrow to pick it up.

jstroud

Post by jstroud » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:25 pm

i would second the pavan tp30 i had one that had terrific basses but the trebles were not up to custom made but i was very impressed for the price. they come in both cedar and spruce

rever

Post by rever » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:26 am

The trebles is what I like about out TP30s, my son has the new D'Addario Titaniums with ESP basses and gets fantastic trebles, loud open and clear.

syl24

Post by syl24 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:08 pm

Did you buy it? If I had seen this in time, I would have suggested that you bring your Cordoba along when you test-drive a new guitar. That way, you'll have a better idea of whether it's the room you're sitting in that makes a guitar sound great, and you can get an accurate comparison (next to what you're used to).

danjepp

Post by danjepp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:00 am

Yes I bought the Hernandez Estudio model and, thus far, am very pleased with the experience. The guitar is leaps and bounds louder than my Cordoba. Volume aside though, the tone and playability are very good. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. I seriously considered the Pavan TP-30 and looked around for a used one for a while, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy something off the Internet. I know it's a little bit ridiculous given that they do have those trial periods, but there are a few things in life that I just have to see and try in person before I can purchase them. Especially when 1500 bucks is quite an investment for a student like me.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:21 am

I think Hernandez works for Esteve which produces Pavan...something like that...so there is some link between what you bought and what you passed over.

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:36 pm

danjepp wrote:I seriously considered the Pavan TP-30 and looked around for a used one for a while, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy something off the Internet. I know it's a little bit ridiculous given that they do have those trial periods, but there are a few things in life that I just have to see and try in person before I can purchase them. Especially when 1500 bucks is quite an investment for a student like me.
I think you did the smart thing. Congrats on your new guitar! :D

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”