Im sorry but im looking for a guitar.

classykid817

Im sorry but im looking for a guitar.

Post by classykid817 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Hey everyone,

I am a Guitar Student at Florida State looking for a new guitar.

I have been doing countless hours of research and web surfing to find a new guitar. Although I do not currently have all of the money for it (saving my nickels and dimes) i am looking at no more then 6k i might be able to push it a bit more.

Basically the problem is that I really like the Features Stephan Connor guitars offer and all of the features they offer (Raised reck, radiused fingerboard, oval soundhole) however their price is very high for just indian rosewood and I would rather have the back and sides made of a bit better wood. For Madagascar (from connor guitars) it would cost about 4k more then the price i would like to spend. I would still like to shop around to see if I could find another builder who offers these features.

Mods: If i placed this in the wrong thread i'm sorry

Thanks to everyone,
Kenny

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Re: Im sorry but im looking for a guitar.

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi Kenny,
I build in your price range, with the features you mentioned. I might be able to hook you up with a Phd student I sold a guitar to in Florida last year if you want to see an example of my work. Or check out my web-site: www.dominelliguitars.com

Cheers,
-Marcus

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:42 pm

classykid817 wrote:... however their price is very high for just indian rosewood and I would rather have the back and sides made of a bit better wood.
Indian rosewood is a great tonewood - great tone and very stable.

James

P.S. Marcus makes great guitars!
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

classykid817

Post by classykid817 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:41 pm

I actually know who you are talking about Marcus, and have heard it when he did his recital this year. It was a very nice guitar

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:42 pm

classykid817 wrote:I would rather have the back and sides made of a bit better wood.
It would be wrong to say the type of wood is entirely a status symbol illusion. However, the wood type is secondary to the skill of the builder be it an individual luthier or a factory. Think of all the famous Torres or Hauser guitars that are made from cypress or maple. Don't let your search for "the" guitar be limited by ideas that one type of wood is "better" than another. In some ways the cheaper, less popular the wood the more time the luthier can put into perfecting the sound in any given price range. A $40 set of ash or Indian rosewoodvs an $800 set of b. rosewood gives the luthier a lot more flexibility.

ameede

Post by ameede » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:31 pm

A good rule of thumb to be certain, but weren't these Torres and Hauser guitars made out of cypress or maple because of their costs to build CG, and/or because of the flamenco traditions of that time? I spent $6K a couple of years ago on a CG that included African Blackwood, a double top of Redwood/Nomex/Redwood, raised fretboard, etc. and for my 40+ years of playing around (literally, I'm a closet guitarist) it is by far the best sounding classical guitar I've ever played. My suggestion to classykid817 is to research what Luthiers have been saying about woods. Velocity of sound, densities, histories of guitar woods, this really helped me in making my final decision on what guitar to get, or in this case, to have made for me. Your search for that perfect guitar backed up by research will only enhance your current understanding of the classical guitar. Good Luck to you.

classykid817

Post by classykid817 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks a lot to everyone. I will be doing more research of course but i'm glad i was able to get some responses.

Kenny

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:41 pm

weren't these Torres and Hauser guitars made out of cypress or maple because of their costs to build CG, and/or because of the flamenco traditions of that time?
It wasn't entirely because of cost. My understanding is that there were a number of factors involved with the wood choices. At the time that Torres and then Hauser I were building there was still more varity in the sound that players wanted than what came later and to a big degree today. Although players are reaching out to luthiers to make them instruments from alternative woods much more than a couple decades ago.

For Torres it appears to have been availability and cost to some degree as many of his rosewood instruments were made from recycled furniture parts. I'm in the middle of a book on the history of Spain and the writer maintains that it was not a good time to live there during the period that includes Torres working life. Spain had lost most of her American colonies, had no real infrastructure to develope industry, a political system plaged with corruption and incomes were extremely low if one indeed had a job. Torres did an amazing thing with what he had available to him.

During the early 20th century when Hauser was working the maple for guitar appears to have still been the dominant wood desired by the northern European musicians. One only has to look in the museums and on line collections to see the plethora of good quality instruments of maple coming out of Mittenwald, Markneukirchen and Vienna to name only a few centers. He would have been wise to cater to his customers desires and he was able to do wonders with the lowly maple.

The issue with the maple (and sometimes fruitwood [pear] as well) Flamenco guitars is one that I find interesting. During the early years of the 20th century these were more common. As these woods are heavier and denser than cypress they tend to give the guitar a mellower tone and more sustain. This fit well with the trend at the time of the guitar moving toward a solo position rather than just an accompaniment to dance or voice. It wasn't a style of guitar that lasted very long but today many very good flamenco luthiers are making instruments of maple and pear. Paulino Bernabe and J.A. Pantoja Martin are a couple I can think of off hand.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”