short scale classical guitar

classicalhawaii

short scale classical guitar

Post by classicalhawaii » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:32 am

Aloha from Hawai'i,
I've lived in Hawai'i most of my life and have taken advantage of the climate and the culture - slack key guitar in particular. It is based more on melodic structures and uses open tuning as most of you probably know. The first guitars were brought here by the Spanish cowboys and were classical guitars, I generally play on a dreadnought but I love the pure sound of a classical. I just missed out on a pre-owned, small body Fransisco Hernandez classical guitar at Dream Guitars and was wondering if anyone has any leads on a similar short scale guitar. I was eyeing that puppy for months and just when I made up my mind to buy it it was sold. $3,400 is the limit for my budget, so I'm thinking pre-owned in order to get the best possible instrument. Mr. Hernandez seems to be pretty illusive as I have not found a direct link, though I read he is affiliated with Kenneth Hill guitars. I'm looking for a small body - short scale up to 631mm, rosewood back/sides, french polish. Any info on his guitars or a similar size and quality guitar would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Re: short scale classical guitar

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:07 pm

There are many fine luthiers right here on this forum who will build you a guitar right to your very own specifications, and their fee will be within the budget you have cited.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

hillguitar

Post by hillguitar » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:27 pm

While the guitar listed at Dream Guitars was indeed built by Francisco Hernandez, there are some instruments attributed to him in the market which he says he did not build.

Larry Darnell
Hill Guitar Company
Hill Guitar Company
Ben Lomond, CA 95005

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:36 pm

I have a 630mm Asturias that I am interested to sell. It has a spruce top and Indian back & sides (all solid). PM me if you are interested. You can see me play it on YT. Search for my channel LFUFMNX, and watch Georgia on My Mind.

Glen

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:44 am

E komo mai! Nice to see another slacker here. :)

Ozzie Kotani tried to stay true to the nylon tradition of slack key when he released his first albums. The story goes that he had a difficult time matching the volume of other artists who played on steel strings and that's why he switched from his Takamine cutaway classical to a Taylor. I prefer slack-key on an inexpensive classical guitar myself. It sounds more authentic to my ears.

Are you looking for a historical short-scale guitar or just a short-scale guitar?

If historical, then you're probably looking for an instrument that would have existed from the early to mid-1800s. Most of the guitars played by the paniolos (who came after or about 1832) would probably have been similar to the Torres FE-18 made by Kenny Hill. You could give him or Larry Darnell a call at the phone number of the Hill Guitar website. It's a over your budget though at $5,450.

Scot Tremblay is also on the forum and he makes smaller-scale early-period instruments that might fit your budget. He has a 629mm 1834 Luis Panormo available.

BarbBarth

Post by BarbBarth » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:32 am

Larry Darnell was the person I dealt with when I bought my Hill Torres... He was truly helpful and the guitar has been a dream to play. It was a big investment and I was a wreck waiting for the guitar to arrive... Larry was very careful about the shipping window (weather issues taken into consideration). It arrived with no issues and the minute I opened the crate, I knew I made a good decision (with Larry's help).

Prothunder

Post by Prothunder » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:34 pm

I bought a New World 630 mm scale guitar made in China for Kenny Hill from Larry Darnell last year. It is a wonderful guitar, beautiful and beautiful sounding, not just my opinion, but also the opinion of doctoral students at the University of Arizona guitar performance program. For the money, you can't go wrong. Larry is great for service. My first purchase from him was a similar 640 scale guitar, which my wife liked, but the size wasn't that much different from her 650 scale model. He exchanged it without any problem for the 630, which was the guitar she was really looking for.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”