Dean Espana

adamali

Dean Espana

Post by adamali » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:47 am

How good is this guitar for a low budget beginner?

The specs are as follows.

* Traditional Classical Design
* Solid Cedar Top
* Mahogany Back and Sides
* Mahogany Neck
* Rosewood Fingerboard

Thanks.

simonm

Re: Dean Espana

Post by simonm » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:27 am

There are three answer to this question.
1) Fine.
2) Depends.
3) That spec covers everything from pretty cheap overbuilt factory guitars to very good luthier guitars. There isn't really anything anyone can tell you from that description except that it is potentially a very fine guitar but it could also be a piece of junk.

Usually here people suggest the budget they have and the models they have been looking at. There are lots of threads already both in the "choosing a guitar" section and the luthiers section (older threads). You need to add more information if you want to get useful answers.

EDIT:
From later posts I see that "Dean Espana" is the name of a brand - that was not clear to me as I wrote my answer - they name is so cheesey that I couldn't imagine that it referred to a specific guitar. Never heard of the brand before.
Last edited by simonm on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:12 pm

When I was looking for guitar few months ago, I did direct comparison of Olinda OC-300 vs. Espana CSR (you ask about CS which should not really matter). Same price, similar specs. Somebody played for me in the store. That specific Olinda sounded better, brighter and louder with better sustain. But it does not mean Espana is always worse. You need to try specific guitar to find out, not mentioning that strings (which were almost dead for both guitars in my case) can play a huge role in the sound.
I would say, for low budget beginner this can be a pretty good choice, better than laminated Yamaha, for example, but there is no guarantee that one specific guitar you get is good. Make sure you can return it, and go with it.
Your main concerns should be fretboard playability (especially low action without buzz), tone evenness, and proper intonation; you will need setup for sure. Many small stores who carry these guitars do not store them properly (temp and humidity vary ); inspect fretwork, body, and joints for cracks, slits, etc.
Good luck, and enjoy!
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

ChiyoDad

Post by ChiyoDad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:21 pm

I think I would buy a Cordoba C3M instead of a Dean Espana CS. That's $20 less and you get a gigbag too.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:45 am

I have the Cordoba and it is a fine though basic guitar. Sound is very good.

It you read (and trust the Harmony Central Reviews), the Espana is a fine guitar.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:54 pm

If you tell us your general budget, we could better give some recommendations.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

adamali

Post by adamali » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks for the info. A beginner like me really need such comments. I plan to invest in better guitar, but at the moment, I need some experience and knowledge, so that I can decide on myself whenever I need to buy one later.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”