Rodriguez or Yamaha?

rascar66

Rodriguez or Yamaha?

Post by rascar66 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:16 am

Hi,

A couple of days ago, I had posted a similar question in the Public Space... Sorry about that :oops:

I had an option to buy a Manuel Rodriguez Model A, which I decided to buy but the owner has withdrawn it from sale... So back to step one for me!

Your thoughts on the following new, not used CG's would be greatly appreciated.

1. Yamaha CG192S
2. Yamaha CG171S
3. Yamaha CG182S
4. Yamaha CG182C
5. Manuel Rodriguez C3 Caballero Studio

I had dabbled for a few years in the 1990's with a Maton C25 which if I recall correctly, had a spruce top which is why for some reason, I seem to be steering towards another spruce... but not certain?

The main reason I am looking at the Yamaha is the build quality seems good, they look O.K. are available, but beyond that my soft fumbling fingers and muffled ears haven't a clue!

Your advice and thoughts really are appreciated.

Cheers,
Darrell

guitarseller345645

Re: Rodrieguez or Yamaha?

Post by guitarseller345645 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:20 pm

The Yamaha 171S is a fine sounding, well made guitar...an excellent choice though you might find some better sounding models from other brands at around the same price.

I have not really played the 182/192.

The C3 is not in the same league, price wise or quality wise. It is more of a beginner's guitar. Better comparisons can be made with the models B or C.

I feel Yamahas are better made but sound-wise, the Spanish guitars sound more alive :casque:

goldnspots

Re: Rodrieguez or Yamaha?

Post by goldnspots » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:36 pm

I had a Yamaha CG171C and would highly recommend this.

rascar66

Re: Rodriguez or Yamaha?

Post by rascar66 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks for the replies!

The 171S it shall be!

I'm not sure why, but I did fancy either the 171S or 192S and when I tickled their strings in a store the other day, both appealed to me despite my inability to hit a note! So when tomorrow comes, I shall jump in the jalopy and get myself a brand spanking new CG.

Excited I am!

Again, many thanks,
Darrell

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Is the 171S still available where you are? It's been discontinued in the US.

You may have to "settle" for the 182S or the 192S. :)

EDIT: FWIW, I have the CG171SF (flamenco model). It may not be my best flamenco guitar but it has a permanent place in my arsenal.

rascar66

Post by rascar66 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:03 pm

GuitarVlog wrote:Is the 171S still available where you are? It's been discontinued in the US.

You may have to "settle" for the 182S or the 192S. :)

EDIT: FWIW, I have the CG171SF (flamenco model). It may not be my best flamenco guitar but it has a permanent place in my arsenal.
Hi,

I'm in the UK and understand that yes, the 171S has been replaced with the 182S, but some must still be available in the UK... At least I hope so as I saw one only a few days ago! I'll know in about 12 hours and 23 minutes....

Will update the post tomorrow.

Cheers,
Darrell

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Play every instrument that you find and, if you can find an able player, have it played to you as well. The instruments often sound different from the front.

One time that my friend and I went shopping, we were fortunate to have encountered a performer/teacher at the shop. He was only too happy to play several instruments for us and we traded impressions. I ended up with a $300 Johnson Carolina JO-27 steel-string for my fingerstyle guitar. Given the rigorous evaluations and comparisons that it was put through, I have absolutely no doubts or regrets about buying it.

Good luck!

rascar66

Post by rascar66 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:19 pm

Well, I missed out on the 171S and my local guitar store confirmed that they cannot get any more!

They still have stock of the 151S, so we had a play with it as well as a few other brands / models and in the end I stayed with a Yamaha and brought home with me a new 192S.

As some folk say, they are well put together for a job lot item, but may not have the same voice as a similar priced Spanish model, but it sounded O.K. to me and the Spruce and Rosewood just look brilliant..

I've worn the fingers out for today and whilst I'm still struggling to find the right note, I'm happy to say I love it!

Thanks again,
Darrell

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:42 pm

Congratulations!

Try some new strings on it in a few months. You might love it even more. I like Savarez 540ARJs on all my guitars. :)

dechico

Post by dechico » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:15 pm

I'm sure you will like your new guitar! I recently purchased the 182S, and new strings made a big difference after six weeks or so of playing and practice. The guitar store could not tell me how long the original strings had been on, but they confirmed that they were the strings that came with it. I put some D'Addario EXP 45 strings which seem to hold their tuning very well.

rascar66

Post by rascar66 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:59 pm

dechico wrote:I'm sure you will like your new guitar! I recently purchased the 182S, and new strings made a big difference after six weeks or so of playing and practice.
Yes, still lovin every minute and pleased you are still enjoying your's as well.

I'm assuming my Yamaha also has the factory strings which after a week of fumbling, haven't really settled! Mind you, I didn't work them in correctly, initially assuming they must come from the factory O.K. and just in need of a tune. But whilst they are tied neatly at the bridge, it is the complete opposite on the tuning rollers, so I should get on and tidy them up to at least give them half a chance to hold tune...

On reflection, I should have done it as soon as I got it home as reading your post had me think about the last time I purchased a new CG which was a Maton C25 in the early 1990's and for the first few days I thought I had a dud as the 6th string would not hold tune for more than a few notes.. So I took it back to the store and had them adjust the tuning machine and despite holding tune in the store, once I had it home, out went the 6th string in moments flat. At my next guitar lesson, I relayed my concern to my teacher and after a quick process of elimination, he replaced the string and my dilemma was resolved. Dud string..

Funny are the things one remembers at moments like this, but as for right now I can't for the life of me remember which strings I used on the Maton or how I actually managed to play a piece...not that it matters of course, but odd considering what one does remember!

Any how, enough of my ramblings and I will be sure to post an update once I get around to changing the strings and not that I really have an ear or feel for it, will try a few types / brands until I find the right set for me and my CG.

Cheers, Darrell

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:55 pm

rascar66 wrote:I'm assuming my Yamaha also has the factory strings which after a week of fumbling, haven't really settled!
How many times are they wound around the tuning machine rollers? If Yamaha still winds them the way they did to my last two guitars, the odds are likely that they will have overwound. That can make it take longer for the strings to settle.

rascar66

Post by rascar66 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:47 pm

GuitarVlog wrote:How many times are they wound around the tuning machine rollers?
4 to 7!

The 6th is 4, but the 3rd is 7 and 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th are 5. So the preliminary tensioning prior to tuning just wasn't consistent.

All are correctly wound for alignment with the nut, but the 5th was not overlapped on the first wind, which was the one that didn't settle at first, so I fixed that one early on.

The tuning machines themselves are fine and feel consistent and really, it is not an issue as it is giving me plenty of practice to keep it in tune, which is more than I can say for my current ability to knock out a legible rendition of even a most basic arpeggio!

If my memory serves me well, I was taught to try for 3 winds once tuned for both the bass and trebles including the overlap and never to stretch the strings, but simply play them in as stretching them kills the tuning consistency.

I’m not sure what the general consensus is with the newer strings and settling them in , but I’m keen to find out or learn a new trick.

Many thanks for your interest and sharing of wisdom, appreciated it is.
Darrell

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:45 am

rascar66 wrote:4 to 7!
Mystery solved. If the strings were installed in the typical Yamaha fashion, then you'll find that they were not "tied" but were just wound after inserting the string into the roller hole. These normal-tension nylon strings will not slip off because of the extra windings, but it will take longer for the them to settle in tune. I would assume that they do it this way to save time on the factory floor.

I use my own method of tying the strings into the roller hole and minimizing the number of windings. This helps the strings settle faster and still ensures that even hard-tension carbons won't slip off the rollers.

rascar66

Post by rascar66 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:55 am

GuitarVlog wrote:Mystery solved.
Many thanks for that!

Yes, undeniably inserted only then wound, not tied.

I will be sure to get on and in the next week or so, pick up a couple of sets of strings, starting with some Savarez and D'Addario strings to see how I get on.

Mind you, it will take quite a while longer than this for my ability and ear to kick in and notice a difference!

Cheers,
Darrell

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”