12 year old Esteve 1GR08 or New Cordoba C10?

RobertPavich

Re: 12 year old Esteve 1GR08 or New Cordoba C10?

Post by RobertPavich » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:55 pm

I, for one, don't have a problem doing a slight fret dress up If I have to...I've had lots of guitars that needed ragged fret ends dressed.

RobertPavich

Post by RobertPavich » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Well, the guitar came....and it's really really nice. Very solid feeling in the tuners, beautiful finish, neck, action, and (I can't believe that I can tell) tone. Mind you...my Alhambra 1C was nice, I had no complaints about it....but I can actually tell the difference.

It came with Savarez strings...it didn't say what tension. They sound fine....I'm not sure if I'm going to change them, they might have been on the guitar a while...I don't know.

But all in all...it's a nice guitar.

Edited to add: I CAN tell SOME sharpness on the fret ends but they aren't RAGGED or anything....just not incredibly smooth.

GRob50

Post by GRob50 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:11 am

I must say, I'm VERY interested in this conversation. I had bought a C10 used, only to return it because the fret ends stuck out. I traded for a Rodriguez Model D which, while nice, does not have the sound quality of the C10. So, I decided to swap it back for a NEW C10, which will arrive sometime next week. We will see what the fret ends look like. I don't know if I trust myself to file them. But, I'm determined to see this through.

Rob

RobertPavich

Post by RobertPavich » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:04 am

Grob50...
I'd say that sound is much more important than a few fret ends....
You CAN smooth them...trust me...its' not that hard.

yjolly

Post by yjolly » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:09 pm

RobertPavich wrote:Well, the guitar came....and it's really really nice. Very solid feeling in the tuners, beautiful finish, neck, action, and (I can't believe that I can tell) tone. Mind you...my Alhambra 1C was nice, I had no complaints about it....but I can actually tell the difference.

It came with Savarez strings...it didn't say what tension. They sound fine....I'm not sure if I'm going to change them, they might have been on the guitar a while...I don't know.

But all in all...it's a nice guitar.

Edited to add: I CAN tell SOME sharpness on the fret ends but they aren't RAGGED or anything....just not incredibly smooth.
Good for you ! :bravo: Like I said, mine was really dry when it showed up, but a fretboard under normal humidity levels shouldn't have the issue. Yours is a C9 right? You can check Cordoba's web site and they tell you what strings are on it from factory (In the specs section). The strings, well, it's all about personal preference; there's a mellow "sound" that I'm after, and the high tension had too much of a clear, metallic sound to my ears. Some of it is the spruce top, and in fact, my personal preference would have been the C10 cedar model, but couldn't pass on the deal I got for this one. Also, I know from my Yamaha (spruce) that the mellow will come out of it after a little while.

Enjoy ! I can't seem to find enough time during the day to play mine as I would like....

Yves

RobertPavich

Post by RobertPavich » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks for the tip on the Cordoba web site....I'll check it out.

The guitar is beautiful...it looks like it was put together without glue!
No globs anywhere....

EDITED TO ADD:

I checked the web site....the strings that come on it are: Savarez Cristal Corum Strings in High Tension....surprising....I don't normally like high tension strings....but the guitar sounds fine with them....

RobertPavich

Post by RobertPavich » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:32 pm

Well...my work mates said that this guitar sounds NOTICIBLY better than my other one and a co-worker who plays said...it's "light years" better.....

Nice to hear that.

He said...."play something" and panic set in and I played study in Em and it sucked...I get so tense.

GRob50

Post by GRob50 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:19 am

I agree with you on the importance of tone, which is why, after a lot of back and forth, I decided to trade the Rodriquez back for the Cordoba. Both are nice, but the Cordoba has a fuller, richer sound.

I wish you many hours of happy playing with your new guitar. All things considered, it is a very nice piece of instrumentation.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”