Classical/Nylon String bridges & - neck angle

markdemo

Classical/Nylon String bridges & - neck angle

Post by markdemo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Classical/Nylon String bridges & neck angle

I'm new to playing classical and nylon stringed guitars. Although I have had access to a Takamine CD132SC for a few years on and off, but never paid too much attention to the setup.

On most steel string guitars I've enjoyed playing, a 24"straight edge laid on the middle of the fingerboard, resting on the frets will end up sliding right on top of the bridge and butt up against the saddle. The entire bottom edge of the straight edge lays flush against the frets all the way up the neck.
On some instruments the bottom edge of the straight edge might get hung up on the front edge of the bridge, but not by much.

Is the same thing true on a quality, well set up nylon string or classical guitar ?

I'm looking at a guitar right now where the bottom edge of the straight edge butts up against the bridge 1/8" down from the top of the bridge.
The saddle is only ~3mm high on the bass side and tapers down to ~1.6mm (1/16") on the treble side.

Is this guitar in need of a neck reset, or heading towards one ?
Or is this the way classical guitars are made in general ?

Action at the 12th fret is ~3mm (1/8") on the treble E and ~4mm (5/32") on the bass E.
Relief seems fine.

The bass strings sound very nice - good, clear, loud tone. The treble strings not so good.
Someone put an undersaddle pickup in this guitar, which might explain part of that problem.

Opinions and information appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

simonm

Re: Classical/Nylon String bridges & - neck angle

Post by simonm » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:07 pm

Action on the 12th fret bottom of string to top of fret (not fretboard) is fine at the numbers you are giving but some people like it a bit lower: 3/32" on the treble side and maybe 1/8" on the bass and some players would be happy with it a bit higher than you say.

At the bridge end people usually measure the height between the string and the top. It would typically be in the 9mm to 12mm range. Neck resets are not typical in the classical area as the construction is quite different.

markdemo

Post by markdemo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:22 pm

simonm wrote: At the bridge end people usually measure the height between the string and the top. It would typically be in the 9mm to 12mm range. Neck resets are not typical in the classical area as the construction is quite different.
Thanks.
On this guitar the string height above the top is at 10mm.
From your information and other things I have read I guess what I see is not out of the ordinary.

RobertPavich

Post by RobertPavich » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:44 pm

It's a little weird visually, to get used to if you've been a steel string or electric player as I was.

When I opened the case to my first classical guitar I thought something was wrong! How could anyone play with the strings to high off of the fretboard??

Actually, it's not hard at all and the numbers you quoted are very "stock" for sure.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”