Who builds more guitar-like lutes these days?

Charles Mokotoff

Who builds more guitar-like lutes these days?

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 pm

I am toying with the idea of playing lute again, but, for sure, don't want a super light instrument with gut or nylgut strings. I'd like to play it with my guitar technique like I used to many years ago...just looking for recommendations for instruments or builders who do anything along these lines.
Thanks...
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

GuitarVlog

Re: Who builds more guitar-like lutes these days?

Post by GuitarVlog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:51 pm

pogmoor mentioned these folks who build single-course lutes with harder tension strings.

http://www.liuto-forte.de/

I mentioned it here and found a video:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56785&

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks, but I was thinking double strung and tuned to G, I used to do fine with that and nails/guitar technique, just not something terribly light. Are there any guitar builders who also make lutes these days?
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:25 pm

segoviajr07 wrote:Thanks, but I was thinking double strung and tuned to G, I used to do fine with that and nails/guitar technique, just not something terribly light. Are there any guitar builders who also make lutes these days?
I'm sure there are - although the only one I really know of is Tony Johnson. I'm expecting to join the list soon by making my first lute this year.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:28 pm

segoviajr07 wrote:Are there any guitar builders who also make lutes these days?
I think Michael Thames used to build lutes but stopped. Here's his old site with lute offerings:

http://www.thamesclassicalguitars.com/oldsite/sub6.htm

He might be one of the most experienced guitar builders to construct a lute with guitar-like qualities if you could convince him to build you one. Send him a DM. (Is he back from Thailand already?)

http://thamesclassicalguitars.com/

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Darren Hippner is building me an 8-string alto guitar, 570mm scale, for the purpose of playing renaissance lute music with guitar technique. I would bet he'd make you a double-string style if you were looking to get octave bourdons used. You'd have to use lute-atrings, but that shouldn't matter much.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:22 pm

David_Norton wrote:Darren Hippner is building me an 8-string alto guitar, 570mm scale, for the purpose of playing renaissance lute music with guitar technique. I would bet he'd make you a double-string style if you were looking to get octave bourdons used. You'd have to use lute-atrings, but that shouldn't matter much.
that's a good tip...sorta want it to look like a lute though, wonder if he'd do that.
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

Valéry Sauvage

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:54 pm

segoviajr07 wrote:Thanks, but I was thinking double strung and tuned to G, I used to do fine with that and nails/guitar technique, just not something terribly light. Are there any guitar builders who also make lutes these days?
There is also an option for liuto forte with double strings.
About G tuning, it is not the only lute tuning, many lutes are tuned to A, D, E, F, ... So don't worry about G tuning.
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi Charles
I have a friend with an old David Rubio lute, built for him in the 70's. If you are interested, shoot me an email

aaron
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Valéry Sauvage wrote:
There is also an option for liuto forte with double strings.
About G tuning, it is not the only lute tuning, many lutes are tuned to A, D, E, F, ... So don't worry about G tuning.
Hi...yes, I am aware, but I am also an old (retired) lute player, and know what I need...top course needs to be G.
I see the liuto forte comes tuned in G...have you ever personally played one?
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”