Flamenco guitar for beginner/intermediate

GuitarVlog

Re: Flamenco guitar for beginner/intermediate

Post by GuitarVlog » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:49 pm

Hidy Ho wrote:Didn't make it to the South Bay Guitar Festival; however, I did manage to get a nice CG171SF with a case locally for a good price. 8)
I saw some CG171SF bargains on CraigsList over the weekend. It's good that you grabbed one of them. I'm not that excited about the matte-finished CG172SF. I think the older CG171SF is more guitar for the money ... and you still pay less money when you buy used. :)

I'm still very happy with mine and play it a bit more than my much more expensive flamenca negra.

Too bad that you missed Grisha Goryachev's clinic but he may be there next year. You could also just contact him and arrange for lessons. He's one of the best in the Bay Area for both classical and flamenco.

Hidy Ho

Post by Hidy Ho » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:14 pm

Tuned my guitars up and started playing. My Kenny Hill New World Player Fingerstyle Spruce top guitar has nice warm tone to it. Yamaha seems a bit sharper/brighter. My left hand finger tips are a bit sore and the index finger is not hurting so that's a good thing.

Ya, I'm going to start a thread about "who should I take lesson from around SF Bay Area for classical and/or Flamengo" so I appreciate your info. Am checking out http://www.sbgs.org/instructors/instructors.html web page. Location wise, Friedman, Josh and Buenz, Jeff are closer. Any 411 on them? Either here or in PM?

GuitarVlog

Post by GuitarVlog » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:21 pm

Hidy Ho wrote:Location wise, Friedman, Josh and Buenz, Jeff are closer. Any 411 on them? Either here or in PM?
No impressions to share on any of them. :(

One of the good uses of these guitar festivals and informal concerts is to meet and evaluate prospective teachers. You can get a general sense of whether you'd have a good teacher-student pairing after attending their clinics and chatting with them afterwards. You should also check Guitar Showcase from time-to-time as they will bring in teachers for clinics and masterclasses in their upstairs classrooms. Scott Tennant did one.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”