Opinions on the Alhambra Linea Profesional?

Patrick delBosque

Opinions on the Alhambra Linea Profesional?

Post by Patrick delBosque » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:49 am

I've been told that the Alhambra Linea Profesional is a fantastic value in a concert quality guitar.
Does anyone have personal experience with this guitar?
muchas gracias :wink:
Patrick

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Re: Opinions on the Alhambra Linea Profesional?

Post by Ramon Amira » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:32 pm

The Alhambra Linea Professional is an outstanding value. This is a concert level and quality luthier made guitar, that is constructed by luthiers Javier Mengual & Jose Margarit in Spain.

Back and sides are solid Indian Rosewood, and the top comes in either cedar or spruce. The Linea model is the least expensive of the models constructed by Javier and Jose – other models of theirs range as high as around $10,000. So for less than $3000 for the Linea you can get a concert luthier guitar.

The drawback of course is that you cannot play it in advance, but that is true of any luthier guitar, though some luthiers will give you a trial period. There would not be a trial period with the Linea, so that is something to be taken into consideration.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

mae

Post by mae » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:24 pm

Prominent Critic wrote: The drawback of course is that you cannot play it in advance [...]
Are there no dealers in Seattle that carry it? They're available in-store here (Toronto), as are the Luthier India and Luthier Rio models. http://www.12fret.com/classical-guitars ... ional-p-75

Suncascadian

Post by Suncascadian » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:09 am

"Are there no dealers in Seattle that carry it? They're available in-store here (Toronto), as are the Luthier India and Luthier Rio models. "

Mae,

Yes there is one. The Rosewood Guitar in Seattle has had one or two Linea Professionals in there. All the salesman are also CG teachers so they are knowledgable.

The advantage of buying from the shop is that you can try it first.
In a way its risky to pay thousands for an instrument and then hope you like it when it arrives.

I am somwhat of a novice, but I played two of them there and I really liked the sound. A clear step up from the Alhambra 8P, which is a good instrument IMO.
I think they had the Rio too.
I am actually considering buying one from them soon. I really liked the spruce version and will try the cedar when they order it in.

Emery

Patrick delBosque

Post by Patrick delBosque » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:10 pm

to wrap up the story....I went to Rosewood and tried many guitars, including the Linea Profesional and several luthier "customs" and ended up buying the Alhambra Luthier Rio Spruce because it sounded as good as luthier guitars costing 2 to 5K more . So far I'm very happy with it. It makes me sound better and makes me want to play better and the dynamic range is probably twice that of the student level Manuel Rodriguez Model C that it supplants as "first wife."
Patrick
p.s. Kudos also to Jason Williams, great guitarist and very helpful guitar sales advisor at Rosewood who patiently guided me through the guitar-tryout process.

mae

Post by mae » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:02 pm

cpboyce wrote:ended up buying the Alhambra Luthier Rio Spruce
Good choice! Congratulations.
cpboyce wrote: p.s. Kudos also to Jason Williams, great guitarist and very helpful guitar sales advisor at Rosewood who patiently guided me through the guitar-tryout process.
A good store with knowledgeable and helpful staff makes all the difference in the world.

Curbudog

Post by Curbudog » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:24 am

Patrick,
Did Bill have a cedar model at Rosewood? I'm hoping to get up there in the next couple weeks and start the process of getting my next baby.

Curt

Patrick delBosque

Post by Patrick delBosque » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:40 pm

Curt
They did not have a cedar model in either the Linea Profesional or the Luthier Rio in stock. Jason told me that after having had some in the past, the consensus among the guitarists/teachers associated with Rosewood was that the Alhambra cedars sounded too "nasal."
I went in there with the intention of buying a cedar guitar, but found the sound of the Luthier Rio
Spruce to be plenty warm and "sweet" with normal tension strings installed.
Patrick

henrih

Post by henrih » Wed May 11, 2011 11:26 am

Is the body size (I mean upper bout, lower bout and the length) same with Alhambra classic models eg. 3c? They only give the body depth in their website. In pictures it looks bit smaller. I'm considering on buying one of these and I like the big body size of my 3C-model.

I'm also interested about the changed neck profile. On their website they say that it's changed somehow. However thickness seems to be same according Alhambra site. So the shape is different?

The reason I'm asking is that I have to buy it before trying it first. And I would like that the size and feel would be as close to 3C as possible. So if someone could measure the body I'd be very thankful!

-Henri

Patrick delBosque

Post by Patrick delBosque » Fri May 27, 2011 3:08 pm

sorry for the months late reply, but I have not looked at this thread in a while. the size of the bout seems to be the same as every other classical guitar I've played.
patrick

philippebertaud

Post by philippebertaud » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:01 pm

Hello,
I have a Linea and here on my blog you can find pictures of the amazing bracing that makes the guitar very balanced, very responsive and with a great projection:
http://www.philippebertaud.com/linea-profesional

It is the only model I will keep. I sold all my other guitars, even a Howell.
The Linea is very comfortable to play, the neck being a bit thinner.
In addition to some very attractive and tasteful body bindings, the guitar features their most select tonewoods with an ebony fingerboard and deluxe Fustero tuners.

I am just in love!
Also you can find it online for way less that $3,000
http://www.buy-classical-guitars.com and you will have 48 hours to try it.

rounie

Post by rounie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi Philippe,
Unbelieveable-I have a Howell too,have tested it against many high end guitars and won...your statement is surprising and i would like to
try Alhambra guitars and see for myself :chaud:
Let Music Unite All............
Richard Howell No.408 Cedar/Indian-2007

tuk

Post by tuk » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Alhambra Luthier India recording ..guitar does sound nice

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=62592&p=681536&hilit=india#p681536
"To make the figure more understandable, IBM said Sequoia was capable of calculating in one hour what otherwise would have taken 6.7 billion people using hand calculators 320 years to complete if they had worked non-stop."

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Hello,

i am thinking about to buy an Alhambra Linea Profesional Guitar, but would like to know how they compare to a Paco Castillo 205 since they get so good comments.
Anyone had the chance to compare them both? Thanks a lot :D

Mikael

Post by Mikael » Sun May 05, 2019 12:38 pm

I have a Linea cedar. Very happy with it, although the sound is a bit on the dark side and I often have the impression that the sound doesn't really "come out" of the box. Can't explain it in any better way.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”