Having fun shopping for a classical guitar

John_p

Having fun shopping for a classical guitar

Post by John_p » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:31 am

Hi guys

Spent the day shopping for my first classical guitar (well first in about 25 years). I am looking for a fairly low-cost model - say in the US$ 400 to US$ 800 range. Turned out to be a bit frustrating, and after playing about 12 different models, I still have not made up my mind.

The range of classical guitars here in Auckland (New Zealand) is a bit limited. At the moment I am looking at an Admira Sombra, Almansa 403, Manuel Rodriguez Caballero II and a Yamaha CG 151s. From what I read in this forum, the Yamaha sounds like a good buy. From playing them, I kinda like the Admira most.

However, I also tried a Walden N660CE, and really liked the sound and how it played. This is a cutaway model with a pickup - but I can also get the standard shape without pickup, which I would prefer. I have not seen any reports on the Walden classical guitars on this forum. Do any of you have an opinion on Waldens?

Any ideas/suggestions on the models I mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

hemiphractus

Re: Having fun shopping for a classical guitar

Post by hemiphractus » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:43 am

Since classical guitars can vary considerably even within the same model lines, it is best to not place too much weight on others opinions. If the guitar sounds and feels good to you, then that is what you should choose. It is far too easy to create mental biases that make it difficult to objectively determine how good an instrument is if you read reports (or look to price as an indicator). You may get lucky and find a nice instrument for a few hundred dollars, or be unfortunate and spend much more on an instrument that is unsuitable for you.
If you have a friend who plays CG well, take them shopping with you so you can actually hear what the guitar sounds like.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:00 am

I am more partial to the Almansa - I think it is relatively more 'premium' than the others. FWIW.

Tanamá

Post by Tanamá » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:56 pm

I am more partial to the Almansa - I think it is relatively more 'premium' than the others. FWIW.
I second this opinion.

Threesixtwofive

Post by Threesixtwofive » Mon May 27, 2019 6:54 pm

Okay here I am new to this wonderful classical guitar site
Does anyone have information on a Walden 630 sollana classical guitar?
Specifications etc

hatalap

Post by hatalap » Tue May 28, 2019 12:47 am

I think Walden is out of business. There may be a few new ones rattling around. Websearch points to a FB owners group where there hasn't been an update in years.

I played one several years ago. Don't remember the model. The poly finish smothered the guitar's sound and it was muddy. If you find one make sure you play it first.

Cheers,

Paul

Threesixtwofive

Post by Threesixtwofive » Tue May 28, 2019 7:34 am

Paul
Thank you for your help
David

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Tue May 28, 2019 8:16 am

Hi John !
At your price point, I would seriously look at 2nd hand guitars. The thing is that this would may require travelling around to try at least a few so to have a decent opinion of which you liked the most.
Generally try as many as you can, and, as stated above, don't be much hoocked at pricepoints or brands.
It's difficult to judge guitars when not side by side ( even then, different sets stings can make much difference - setup too!!! ). Judging a guitar is something that gets improved by experience. My advice on that is, at every guitar, try to play a few pieces at various parts of the fretboard and try to listen - and feel - carefully. Al the notes - frequencies sound ok? are they well separated or you hear a buzz? how about chords? are the trebles full ? are you happy with what you hear, are you hooked with "this" guitar?
Finally, most of all as you state, enjoy the whole process! :)
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Panagi Brothers 70's
Furch FN 23 CR ( nylon )
Juan Martinez nr 55 2014 (the comeback)
Yamaha cg 110 1988 (the 1st)
Gibson j45
--
2014: the comeback

Keith

Post by Keith » Tue May 28, 2019 9:58 am

John, one characteristic of factory guitars, which I suspect includes the Walden, is a large variability to the quality of sound. The Walden you played may have been good but the next 10 Walden guitars may be dogs and the 11th may be a keeper. With factory guitars, playing before buying is super important. I think you may have found your guitar as you mentioned the Admira as the guitar you most liked out of the lot.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Threesixtwofive

Post by Threesixtwofive » Fri May 31, 2019 8:05 pm

Hi
David here again
I do possess a Kasuga 316 and I am wondering if anyone can provide me with information the Kasuga company and what level classical this 316 would be considered, student, etc.
Thank you again

Kevin L Benbow

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Fri May 31, 2019 8:44 pm

For what it's worth, I love my Admira. Have had it for 20 years and won't part with it.
Purnell #93
Cordoba C12
Admira Virtuoso (c. 1999).

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”