Your thoughts on Manuel Contreras II Concierto N 3

Jacek A. Rochacki

Your thoughts on Manuel Contreras II Concierto N 3

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Mon May 04, 2015 8:32 am

In my search for a guitar with this warm, deep, not too bright/"glassy", sweet if I want, "Spanish" sound I found in my circles the Manuel Contreras II cedar top guitar, model Concierto N 3, 650/52 mm., from 2009 year. I will have a chance of test playing this instrument in few weeks, so I am asking now, Dear Delcamp Friends, for your thoughts, impressions and opinions on this model of the Contreras guitar. I am also interested to which model of the Jose Ramirez guitars would you compare this Contreras N 3 - 4NE, SP, other ?. I understand that this Contreras is constructed in the Contreras workshop, it is not outsourced like some of the Jose Ramirez models. Is it so ? And: some of the Jose Ramirez guitars are known of being "hard" under LH fingers, they have high string action. How it is with the Contreras, possibly with this N 3 model ?

Thank you.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

Guitar-ded

Re: Your thoughts on Manuel Contreras II Concierto N 3

Post by Guitar-ded » Tue May 05, 2015 11:14 pm

I can only offer one little bit of info regarding these.
A few years ago my then teacher, who also ran a guitar store, took one of these in trade from a guy who traded three guitars against a Sakurai.
I remember that this was very Spanish-sounding and my teacher kept this for himself whilst he sold on the others.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed May 06, 2015 9:04 am

Dear Guitar-ded

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions, it is so kind of you. Thank you again :)

Let me add that I feel a little confused by lack of other informative posts here. I thought that the Contreras guitars are rather popular/known; in case of Jose Ramirez instrument there is a lot of informations, opinions etc on different models - not only on the top A 1. And I still have a hope that some Knowledgeable Person will kindly enlighten me on comparison between Jose Ramirez and Manuel Contreras guitars with regard to this Contreras N 3 model; I wonder to which of Jose Ramirez models this Contreras compares. I know that guitars are different one to another also within the same model, but it is possible, I guess, to make general orientation comparing instruments of similar ("Madrid School" in this case) character/"breed".
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

dandan

Post by dandan » Wed May 06, 2015 6:10 pm

I have no experience with this particular model but I imagine it fits somewhere between 1a and top student model c1. Maybe equivalent to Ramirez SP?
1966 Sakazo Nakade D
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1977 Aria AG80 (Masaru Takeiri)
1997 Hiroumi Yamaguchi A-I

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed May 06, 2015 10:53 pm

dandan wrote:I have no experience with this particular model but I imagine it fits somewhere between 1a and top student model c1. Maybe equivalent to Ramirez SP?
Thank you very much for your input; yes, I think the same, just wondering if this N 3 is more toward the 4NE or the SP.

dandan

Post by dandan » Thu May 07, 2015 8:21 am

Again, just guessing, but I imagine its closer to the SP as the C1 is pretty close to the 4NE in terms of quality.
1966 Sakazo Nakade D
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1977 Aria AG80 (Masaru Takeiri)
1997 Hiroumi Yamaguchi A-I

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu May 07, 2015 9:19 am

dandan wrote:Again, just guessing, but I imagine its closer to the SP as the C1 is pretty close to the 4NE in terms of quality.
Thank you again for your impression ! it is real pleasure to see and feel that others are being of help :)

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:10 am

It's an old thread already but it only now came to my attention. I have played an N3 Contreras, CD/IR in a music shop in Athens. The particular guitar was made in 2011 and was signed by Jose Antonio Lagunar, the then chief luthier of the Contreras workshop. The guitar was outstanding in tone quality, sustain, volume and note separation. I also liked the playability. It is a large bodied guitar to be sure and certainly satisfies Spanish sounding guitar lovers. I have no idea about construction. It felt rather heavy on my hands, but I do not know if it was dople tapa construction, certainly fan braced however. Since then I have been tempted to get a guitar from Maestro Lagunar himself!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”