Do2, two voices, x players, 1 measure, ABA format, will run til finished.

Musical games to help develop improvisational skills.
Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Re: Do2, two voices, x players, 1 measure, ABA format, will run til finished.

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:08 am

Jules Wilkins wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:59 am
Tom Wimsatt wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:29 am
given the half -note E being held while playing those notes :sigaretta:
I am not sure what that means.
Other than the fact that I have put considerable extra "rests" towards the end as I try to remember where my fingers need to go next, purely a consequence of posting prior to taking the time required to learn the section well, when I listen to this I cannot help but feel pleased with the result. You are not writing your sections the way I would have any more than I am writing mine the way you would have and at first I even found myself questioning some of your choices, and yet for a first effort at a joint composition I think we are doing a fine job indeed and when I play it through and listen to my posting I not only understand but I fully approve of the choices I initially questioned. Interesting exercise and I am looking forward to your final submission.
I did leave you with a bit of a challenge as you have the task of leading the listener back into the key of Am. I haven't tried this myself (it is after all your measure) but I suspect it may be a bit tricky. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Perhaps I should apologize for the difficulty this piece is proving to be, but I won't. Firstly, it was not my intention...it just somehow went in that direction...and secondly it may have stretched you (and me) but I think as a learning experience we are both the better for it.
Oops. I was trying to be funny and failed miserably. I apologize. I meant no offense.

As I understand the last measure you generated, I must hold those second voice notes for two counts each, while hitting the 1st voice notes. The second portion, involving E is the portion I was referring to.

In playing this piece tonight I decided to modify my submission. The more I played it the more I didn't like it. I also found I had created something impossible to play ( for me anyway ). My second voice notes were of the wrong duration, so I corrected that.

Your fingering suggestion on my 6th measure was a good idea by the way. I'm working to relearn it and hope to post tomorrow.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

Jules Wilkins
Student of the online lessons

Re: Do2, two voices, x players, 1 measure, ABA format, will run til finished.

Post by Jules Wilkins » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:32 am

If me being a bit daft counts as you having failed then I guess you did. I understand your comment now. While I have that second voice continuing for two full beats on paper I wasn't actually playing it that way, though I suppose it is playable. More a case of writing it one way and playing it another.
"We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve." — Bill Gates
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement." — unknown

Return to “Musical Games”