Normal for body depth to be bigger at lower bout?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
CrisJoaquim

Normal for body depth to be bigger at lower bout?

Post by CrisJoaquim » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:09 pm

I recently tried out two guitars, an esteve model 70 and a guitar from my luthier. one thing I noticed was that the body depth of these two was a little deeper than other classicals that I have played, and the lower bout seemed to be deeper, at least that's what it looked like in the case.

Is there a purpose for this?

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Re: Normal for body depth to be bigger at lower bout?

Post by Alan Carruth » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:48 pm

It is normal, at least in modern guitars. As for why it's done, that's hard to say. Pleading tradition only kicks the can down the road: you're still left with the questions of why it was done in the first place, and why it persisted. One maker I know who has looked into this more or less systematically has said that tapering the body depth tends to produce a more 'even' sound. The usual reasoning goes that it reduces the chance of a prominant 'standing wave' resonant frequency that could arise between a parallel top and back. That makes some sense, but i would not regard it as 'proven'. There is also an ergonomic argument, that a tapered body is more comfortable to hold. Since some makers only taper the box by 6-8mm it hardly seems to be a major benefit, but sometimes even small changes can be significant.

Return to “Luthiers”