lattice

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Jose Marques
Luthier

lattice

Post by Jose Marques » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:52 am

after some (48) guitars I found that I'm in love of this lattice stile, most of my guitars was fan bracing, them a client ask me to build a lattice and I decided to read and talk with other luthiers about this stile.
i have done just 4 and my first was great, sound and projection, then I decided to go to a spruce lattice and carbon fiber it was a wrong road, I dint liked the final product, this guitar is in my shop to unmount the soundboard and glue another one, in my acquired opinion, spruce was not the best choice but decided to trie and I have lost this battle.
Now back to a all wood lattice I decided to build 2 lattice, one is already finished and the other one is almost, had done some modifications from my 1st.

Opinion YESSSSS I just love the sound, colors , projection, :casque:
I believe that in the future I will find some ideas to do different things but I'm really pleased with this method :D

I don't have nothing recorded yet but I hope that I can record some this as soon as I find some guitar player that can do that to me, if someone is interested in help or just test please contact me :casque:

Thank you
JM

I'm a Luthier living in Bury st Edmunds UK

josswinn

Re: lattice

Post by josswinn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Looks nice. How thin did you go on the top? Is it a 9 strut spruce lattice?
Joss Winn

Robert England
Luthier

Post by Robert England » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:47 am

I've started using a 7 x 7, 90 degree all wood Spruce lattice, and I am very happy with the results.
Robert

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 am

Nice guitar! It would be interesting to hear that spruce lattice before you change the top. Meanwhile, why exactly didn't you like the spruce lattice top?
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

"The duty of an artist is to take a demon and deliver an angel" (Dr. Elahi Ghomshei)

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:02 am

Jose Marques wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:52 am
after some (48) guitars I found that I'm in love of this lattice stile, most of my guitars was fan bracing, them a client ask me to build a lattice and I decided to read and talk with other luthiers about this stile.
i have done just 4 and my first was great, sound and projection, then I decided to go to a spruce lattice and carbon fiber it was a wrong road, I dint liked the final product, this guitar is in my shop to unmount the soundboard and glue another one, in my acquired opinion, spruce was not the best choice but decided to trie and I have lost this battle.
Now back to a all wood lattice I decided to build 2 lattice, one is already finished and the other one is almost, had done some modifications from my 1st.

Opinion YESSSSS I just love the sound, colors , projection, :casque:
I believe that in the future I will find some ideas to do different things but I'm really pleased with this method :D

I don't have nothing recorded yet but I hope that I can record some this as soon as I find some guitar player that can do that to me, if someone is interested in help or just test please contact me :casque:

Thank you
JM

Would love to see a photo of your top bracing/lattice. Even one of the top that didn't work out.

HR
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:44 pm

hello
thank you for your comments and I will answer all your questions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by josswinn » Sunday 10 February 2019, 17:41 pm

Looks nice. How thin did you go on the top? Is it a 9 strut spruce lattice?

Hello josswinn, like I said I was working in some changes but this one, and another that I just finished about 30m ago, they have 7x7 strut and the strut pieces has 9x4mm in the end the squares have 36mm, the cedar I have done apron 1,7mm low bout but in both guitars I have done some small changes ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unread post by Robert England » Monday 11 February 2019, 00:47 am

I've started using a 7 x 7, 90 degree all wood Spruce lattice, and I am very happy with the results.
Robert

Hello Robert
the I use the 7x7 as well I will put a pic in the end of this post :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unread post by Arash Ahmadi » Monday 11 February 2019, 07:36 am

Nice guitar! It would be interesting to hear that spruce lattice before you change the top. Meanwhile, why exactly didn't you like the spruce lattice top?

Hello Arash
the spruce lattice with carbon fiber as a different structure, is heavy with 9x9 structure and carbon fiber.
I believe that spruce doesn't react to this structure as the cedar, for example all small man are cedar ;), in the spruce one I believe that I have 2 different things that contribute for the nasal sound, what is characteristic in very thin tops, but the structure is to heavy then the volume is not a supersonic power and the sound is nasal... if I can do some changes, yes I can for example remove the back and work the structure a bit more this way I can increase the volume but the nasal sound will continue... then I decided replace the soundboard,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ernandez R
Would love to see a photo of your top bracing/lattice. Even one of the top that didn't work out.

HR

hello ernandez R please see bellow thank you

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:56 pm

cedar top

the spruce one I just found this pic , after this I have done a lot of work but you can see the strut, I must say that the spruce top thickness is about 1,2mm

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:07 pm

Spruce lovers never seem to understand why cedar works better for lattice soundboards. Spruce is denser, heaver and stiffer than cedar and redwood.

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:22 pm

GuitarsWeB wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:07 pm
Spruce lovers never seem to understand why cedar works better for lattice soundboards. Spruce is denser, heaver and stiffer than cedar and redwood.
thats true and I'm a spruce lover as well, but at this building stile cedar is better I think

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:40 am

Jose Marques wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:22 pm
GuitarsWeB wrote:
thats true and I'm a spruce lover as well, but at this building stile cedar is better I think

Yeah! That’s what I said...cedar is better for a lattice guitar.

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 am
If you wish to listen before i change the top please contact me asap ok?
Chears

madrilla

Post by madrilla » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:31 pm

GuitarsWeB wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:40 am
Jose Marques wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:22 pm
GuitarsWeB wrote:

Yeah! That’s what I said...cedar is better for a lattice guitar.
Then is lattice better for cedar than fan bracing?

Jose Marques
Luthier

Post by Jose Marques » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 pm

[/quote]

nop, not at all, the question here is completely different, lattice, even all wood lattice , are guitars that the soundboard has a lighter build, generally speaking, the thickness if a lattice usually is thiner then a fan braced one, and with this brings other characteristics to que sound.
here the balance is not loose the quality of the sound but bring more volume and for that I, and others, decided to build with lattice bracing.

but if you have the chance to test or listen a Daniel Frederich guitar, that is fan bracing, I bet that you will be in love, to not :shock:

better answer, better I dont think so, but I love the lattice all wood :mrgreen:

ernandez R

Post by ernandez R » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:19 am

Jose Marques wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 pm
nop, not at all, the question here is completely different, lattice, even all wood lattice , are guitars that the soundboard has a lighter build, generally speaking, the thickness if a lattice usually is thiner then a fan braced one, and with this brings other characteristics to que sound.
here the balance is not loose the quality of the sound but bring more volume and for that I, and others, decided to build with lattice bracing.

but if you have the chance to test or listen a Daniel Frederich guitar, that is fan bracing, I bet that you will be in love, to not :shock:

better answer, better I dont think so, but I love the lattice all wood :mrgreen:
[/quote]

Would you say that the mass of a spruce fan braced top is or should be the same mass as a lattice braced top all other factors considered?

HR
I hate sanding wood or anything else for that matter I just happen to be good at it...

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:36 am

Jose Marques wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:20 pm
Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 am
If you wish to listen before i change the top please contact me asap ok?
Chears
Sent you a PM. :)
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

"The duty of an artist is to take a demon and deliver an angel" (Dr. Elahi Ghomshei)

Return to “Luthiers”