How to support the guitar

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Juan CAR

How to support the guitar

Post by Juan CAR » Wed May 15, 2019 12:22 pm

Hello,

I am interested in knowing how you hold and/or support your guitars in the workbench once it is out of the mold or solera, for binding, fingerboards and bridge glueing, etc.

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions!

Matthew Masail

Re: How to support the guitar

Post by Matthew Masail » Wed May 15, 2019 5:04 pm

I use two vises. One I made myself it has a low profile and swiveling front jaw, you can make something quite simpler or use a commercial vise but with the commercial one you'll need to mount it near the bench end to get it's surface low enough. Having access on both sides of the bench is a big plus
IMG_20190509_010809.jpg
The other vise is a commercial guitar makers vise, it's super strong and great to hold the guitar by the neck at various angles for chiseling binding channels and such

IMG_20190509_010809.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pat Foster
Luthier

Post by Pat Foster » Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 pm

Here are two that I use.

The rectangular base on the second one has since been trimmed to the shape of a guitar

DSCN8685.jpg
DSCN9610.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Wed May 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Well Mathew and Pat have beaten me to it but The cradle that Pat shows is what I use when cutting the binding channels and I find it particularly useful when glueing in the bindings. It can be clamped to the bench and allows considerable force to be applied to the tape securing the bindings that I find I need for my sharp cutaways.

Other than that one learns a number of cradling techniques to support this really quite difficult shape. Scraping the bindings down is always fun!
Dave

Juan CAR

Post by Juan CAR » Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Matthew Masail wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:04 pm
I use two vises. One I made myself it has a low profile and swiveling front jaw, you can make something quite simpler or use a commercial vise but with the commercial one you'll need to mount it near the bench end to get it's surface low enough. Having access on both sides of the bench is a big plus IMG_20190509_010809.jpg

The other vise is a commercial guitar makers vise, it's super strong and great to hold the guitar by the neck at various angles for chiseling binding channels and such

IMG_20190509_010809.jpg
Thanks for the information and the pictures! This is the kind of advice I needed. I find both types very useful, but given that I only have access to my workbench on the one hand, I believe that the second type can be more useful for me because I can use it with different angles. Thank you!

Juan CAR

Post by Juan CAR » Wed May 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Thank you, Pat! Your first one remember me a arrangement used by Cumpiano in his book, I think is very useful for work the end-block inlay.

I had never seen the second type. It's really interesting and it does not seem hard to build. I understand that it exerts lateral pressure on the ribs and that the guitar can also be fixed face up. What I wonder is whether it is adjustable to different guitar sizes.

Juan CAR

Post by Juan CAR » Wed May 15, 2019 9:29 pm

Dave M wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:34 pm
Well Mathew and Pat have beaten me to it but The cradle that Pat shows is what I use when cutting the binding channels and I find it particularly useful when glueing in the bindings. It can be clamped to the bench and allows considerable force to be applied to the tape securing the bindings that I find I need for my sharp cutaways.

Other than that one learns a number of cradling techniques to support this really quite difficult shape. Scraping the bindings down is always fun!
... and binding is one of the jobs that most embellish the instrument!

Pat Foster
Luthier

Post by Pat Foster » Thu May 16, 2019 2:12 am

Juan,

In the second photo, there is a slot in the base visible in the upper right. There are actuall four of those, one for each stanchion (support) so that the stanchions can be moved towards or away from the center for different sizes. If you look closely under the stanchion closest to the camera, you can seen the wing nut that locks it in place. Later, I replaced the wing nuts with rounded wood knobs in case the guitar should make contact.

The stewmac Truechannel Binding Router Jig guitar body cradle might give you a better idea.

Juan CAR

Post by Juan CAR » Thu May 16, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks, Pat.

Of course it seems a very useful device, now I see the wing in the base and I understand that the big rectangle of the base belongs to the support. Of course the structure of a guitar has more resistance than one imagines, because the pressure it supports with this type of support, and with the other types, is high.

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Fri May 17, 2019 4:06 pm

This might clarify the design of the cradle. t is used before the end graft is applied so can screwed a short way into the bottom of the guitar and since I use a bolted on neck also at the top. Makes for a nice secure holding.
Dave

Juan CAR

Post by Juan CAR » Fri May 17, 2019 5:06 pm

Dave M wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:06 pm
This might clarify the design of the cradle. t is used before the end graft is applied so can screwed a short way into the bottom of the guitar and since I use a bolted on neck also at the top. Makes for a nice secure holding.
Thank you for the info. Nice aid for holding the guitar. Do you think would work without the two screws that correspond with the bottom and the neck? My goal is holding the guitar also after the graft is glued, and I use the type Spanish neck joint.

Return to “Luthiers”