Any feedback or reviews on yamaha CG142 and CG182?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
p.s.seaf

Any feedback or reviews on yamaha CG142 and CG182?

Post by p.s.seaf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:06 am

Hello any reviews or feed back on yamaha cg142 and yamaha cg182,

souldier

Re: Any feedback or reviews on yamaha CG142 and CG182?

Post by souldier » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:56 pm

The CG Yamaha's are solid reliable guitars, but I feel you can get more value for the money as far as performance is concerned. I much prefer the GC (Grand Concert) yamahas.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

p.s.seaf

Post by p.s.seaf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:14 am

Thanks for the reply, i do think the GC series are better, but i can only stretch my budget to a yamaha gc182, GC guitars are quite expensive

spronev

Post by spronev » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:24 pm

Best value for the money will be a second-hand guitar that's in good condition. This way you will not lose almost any money when you sell it later. When you buy a brand new guitar, selling it even a short time later will result in losing give or take half of what you paid. A very good quality Japanese guitar (like Matano, Cervantes, Nakade, Matsuoka, Tamura from the 1970s) can be bought directly from Japanese auctions for anywhere between $400 and $800 USD including the shipping costs. The one thing to consider is that older guitars usually need a setup and some some fret leveling/crowning in order to play like a new guitar.

Svilen

Big bird

Post by Big bird » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:49 pm

p.s.seaf wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:14 am
Thanks for the reply, i do think the GC series are better, but i can only stretch my budget to a yamaha gc182, GC guitars are quite expensive
Can you go somewhere and play either or both of the Yamaha's? If so, I figure you can decide which one feels best and sounds best to you. As mentioned, Yamaha makes good guitars and that is true in whatever price range you land in. Buying an "old" guitar can be rewarding and a good value but it can be, just as likely, a mistake. Ask me how I know that :D.
2017 Yamaha SLG200NW

spronev

Post by spronev » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Big bird wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:49 pm
p.s.seaf wrote:
Can you go somewhere and play either or both of the Yamaha's? If so, I figure you can decide which one feels best and sounds best to you. As mentioned, Yamaha makes good guitars and that is true in whatever price range you land in. Buying an "old" guitar can be rewarding and a good value but it can be, just as likely, a mistake. Ask me how I know that :D.
That is true! Experience with guitars can come in handy when buying an older guitar. Knowing what to look for and what to avoid at all costs and when to pass if there is not enough information is something that it built through making mistakes over time. :) I know that for a fact since I have owned more than 60 guitars by now and 3/4 of them have been 30-50 years old.

Svilen

p.s.seaf

Post by p.s.seaf » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:03 am

souldier wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:56 pm
The CG Yamaha's are solid reliable guitars, but I feel you can get more value for the money as far as performance is concerned. I much prefer the GC (Grand Concert) yamahas.
W.

p.s.seaf

Post by p.s.seaf » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:20 am

spronev wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:24 pm
Best value for the money will be a second-hand guitar that's in good condition. This way you will not lose almost any money when you sell it later. When you buy a brand new guitar, selling it even a short time later will result in losing give or take half of what you paid. A very good quality Japanese guitar (like Matano, Cervantes, Nakade, Matsuoka, Tamura from the 1970s) can be bought directly from Japanese auctions for anywhere between $400 and $800 USD including the shipping costs. The one thing to consider is that older guitars usually need a setup and some some fret leveling/crowning in order to play like a new guitar.

Svilen
Thanks for the reply, for 2nd hand guitars i dont have the knowlede or skills yet on determining a good buy, does kind of guitars need a proper attention to details which as of now i dont have. Thanks

p.s.seaf

Post by p.s.seaf » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:23 am

Big bird wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:49 pm
p.s.seaf wrote:
Just inquired here in our guitar shop, they ran out of stock will wait for a couple of weeks till they arrive :)

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:15 pm

I would suggest that you try out a number of CG182Ss and CG182Cs. Overall they are a better buy than the CG142s. Ebony fret board versus Rosewood, Rosewood back and sides versus Nato, and a true rosette versus a decal. In addition, perhaps you have a friend who plays classical who would accompany you and thus allow you to hear the instrument...or someone at the store might be available. In the end, play as many yourself as you can and pick the one that has the sound you find most attractive. A cedar top may be a bit more forgiving of technique, but the choice should be the character of sound you prefer.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Return to “Luthiers”