chinese guitars

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
mikaelk2006

chinese guitars

Post by mikaelk2006 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:25 pm

Just a quick question ... Has anyone heard of concert guitars being made in china? My mother heard something on cable about the Chinese now making very high quality guitars and I am skeptical but I realize that sooner or later we will start seeing great guitars from China. The Chinese already make guitars like they make electronics or kitchen products, but I hadn't really seriously considered they'd make really high quality concert guitars that sound like the Spanish or French guitars.

Any info would be interesting. :D

ewok

Re: chinese guitars

Post by ewok » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:55 am

Are you in France? One of my beloved guitars was made by Jacques Castelluccia in Paris. Have you heard this Italian French luthier?

Yes, China has some good luthiers making handmade concert quality guitars. But I also have seen so many made-in-China guitars of which quality is of similar level of made-in-China "electronics or kitchen products". Just make sure that the guitar shop you buy the made-in-China guitar is willing to make exchange or refund if the guitar is not playable. In my experiences to deal with manufacturers (not guitars) in China, quality control is always a problem. The other problem is the protection of intellectual properties. But this is another issue.
mikaelk2006 wrote:Just a quick question ... Has anyone heard of concert guitars being made in china? My mother heard something on cable about the Chinese now making very high quality guitars and I am skeptical but I realize that sooner or later we will start seeing great guitars from China. The Chinese already make guitars like they make electronics or kitchen products, but I hadn't really seriously considered they'd make really high quality concert guitars that sound like the Spanish or French guitars.

Any info would be interesting. :D

ysorpheus

Post by ysorpheus » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:41 pm

Check out RJ (RunJun) Fang guitar.
His guitars will be displayed and sold in GFA 2006 guitar foundation.org/gfacompetition.htm
Check out the vendor fair.
His all solid wood guitars range from student level to professional concert level at around $1000 ~ $4000. Fang is also an accomplished CG player.
His guitars would easily compete with luthier built guitars from US/Europe for 2x ~ 3x times of price tag.

Skai

Post by Skai » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:28 am

I'd check out his site if only my mandarin was better, thanks to neglecting Chinese language at school. :? No worries, a translator should be available easily to me and I'll see what I can find out. Hopefully some price range, info and soundclips.

Clear White Light

Post by Clear White Light » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:03 am

I'm sure a chinese person is just as capable of producing a high quality instrument as a person from some other country.. just make sure you go with a hand built instrument and not some factory produced one.

Bogawalla

Chinese guitars

Post by Bogawalla » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:55 pm

I have recently bought a hand-made Chinese guitar called Lucky Star.It sounds like a good guitar.The best thing about it is the price. It was very cheap.It cost me about 60 dollars. What a bargain.

hometwnskater13

Post by hometwnskater13 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:09 pm

ive piced up a few corts and arias and have been thourly impressed all solid wood for around 230!! only beter deal than that is to make your own

hyz

Post by hyz » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:56 am

ysorpheus wrote:Check out RJ (RunJun) Fang guitar.
His guitars will be displayed and sold in GFA 2006 guitar foundation.org/gfacompetition.htm
Check out the vendor fair.
His all solid wood guitars range from student level to professional concert level at around $1000 ~ $4000. Fang is also an accomplished CG player.
His guitars would easily compete with luthier built guitars from US/Europe for 2x ~ 3x times of price tag.
fang's waiting list is getting longer and longer.... i heard he is coming back to US with some new guitars he just made... this will give the US and European a run for the money with Fang delivers a much better value proposition for same amount of investment.

mikaelk2006

chinese guitars

Post by mikaelk2006 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:07 pm

I have heard of castellucia in Paris they have a great reputation , I believe there is even a shop there in Paris as well. :D

hyz

Post by hyz » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:54 am

some recorded sound clips of RJ Fang guitar....plays by the luthier himself.

http://www.rjfang.com/

flingdream

Post by flingdream » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:11 am

:lol: :lol: ,I 'm in China.My first guitar cost me ¥90.00 equel to $10.00.
It is brand is hongmian , made in guangdong where in south China.Though it is really not a good guitar ,but it takes me to the world of music,without it there will lose a regester from China.My meaning is these cheap ones satisfyed the people who can't afford an expensive in China and in most developping countries.
Sorry for my poor English and spell.

chlimson

Post by chlimson » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:01 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with you perspective of having a guitar to journey into your world of music. I have seen China's passage of technological progress for the last 20 years, and am sure that there will be more than Fang in China. Do you have anymore insights to great Chinese luthiers? :D

ewok

Re: chinese guitars

Post by ewok » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:21 am

:lol: Then, you don't have to buy any guitar from China. That guitar shop in Paris also sells some inexpensive guitars (made in Italy or Spain).
mikaelk2006 wrote:I have heard of castellucia in Paris they have a great reputation , I believe there is even a shop there in Paris as well. :D

huyong

Post by huyong » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:36 pm

The tecnique of making CG in China is moving forward rapidly.Meanwhile,Chinese CG is much cheaper.

Pepe Vergara

Post by Pepe Vergara » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:59 pm

flingdream wrote::lol: :lol: ,I 'm in China.My first guitar cost me ¥90.00 equel to $10.00.
It is brand is hongmian , made in guangdong where in south China.Though it is really not a good guitar ,but it takes me to the world of music,without it there will lose a regester from China.My meaning is these cheap ones satisfyed the people who can't afford an expensive in China and in most developping countries.
Sorry for my poor English and spell.
I agree with you that chinese factories are tapping a portion of the market that otherwise would not have access to guitar. However, they get what they pay for. I did own a guitar built in China by Yamaha, long time ago. It was a good guitar, but it was a Yamaha. Your English is fine, you do not have to appologize all the time. Flingdream: Do you work for a guitar factory in China, or own one? Just curious!!

flingdream wrote: ... these cheap ones satisfyed the people who can't afford an expensive in China and in most developping countries.
Last edited by Pepe Vergara on Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Luthiers”