chinese guitars

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
ewok

Post by ewok » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:15 am

Hi, Pepe,

I guess your Yamaha guitar was made in Kaohsiung, a big city in southern Taiwan (in older models there may also have the words "Republic of China" ).
That factory has been making mid- and low-end guitars for Yamaha since early 1970s and is one of the largest guitar factories in the world.
Some rumor says that Yamaha also has guitar factory in China, although I have never seen the words "made in China" inside new Yamaha guitars so far.

ewok

pepe wrote:
I agree with you that chinese factories are tapping a portion of the market that otherwise would not have access to guitar. However, they get what they pay for. I did own a guitar built in China by Yamaha, long time ago. It was a good guitar, but it was a Yamaha. Your English is fine, you do not have to appologize all the time. Flingdream: Do you work for a guitar factory in China, or own one? Just curious!!

I have heard that statement before from high business people, and it was used as an excuse to get special preference in taxes, disregard copyright laws (or not signing the copyright act, etc.,), and using cheap, almost slave labor.

Derry

Post by Derry » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:22 pm

check out http://www.Almaguitar.com some high end CGs,,

cost range form the $2k to over $5K depending on your quality taste,,

he also builds a true doubletop,,

Jie Li plays an Alma,,

ewok

Post by ewok » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:44 am

The luthier you mention here is a Korean!!!!

Derry wrote:check out http://www.Almaguitar.com some high end CGs,,

Jie Li plays an Alma,,

flingdream

Post by flingdream » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:10 am

hi pepe:
I'm sorry for replying too late.First I'm just a guitar fans and haven't a guitar shop.(I hope I can make a guitar by myself someday)My profession is credit menegement.
Your perspective of some good guitars made in China were producted for foreign companies is true in China.As I known,some Washburn and Yamaha's mid or low models were OEM
by Chinese factory in shandong.The tech and quanlity control were supported by the company.These guitars sound good and with low price,mostly between $100-$300.But the factory and workers get a little from the profit.
Unfortunatly there is another situation I must admit,some Chinese guitar factories make fake guitars.The factories mostly are simple and crude,the owner steals others design , use barstard stuff and at last paint a famouse brand .Sometimes it's hard to differ from the surface. So these guitars are really bad one,we Chinese also hate them.Please be careful of these guitars,normally,they are famouse brand but bid uncredible low price.If you have bought one carelessly,you could complain the dealer or the shop,because build or sold these guitars is also illegal in China.
At last I will introduce a good luthier in guangdong of China.His name is jiangxiaoqing,he is good at making flamenco guitars.Here is the website:www.xjguitar.com

ysorpheus

Post by ysorpheus » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:28 pm

ewok wrote:The luthier you mention here is a Korean!!!!

Derry wrote:check out http://www.Almaguitar.com some high end CGs,,

Jie Li plays an Alma,,
The luthier's name is HeeHong Kim. According to his site, Chen Shanshan, Wang Yameng, and Su Meng also play Alma guitars.

Return to “Luthiers”