Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 831
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:43 pm

HNLim wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:24 am
Beowulf wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:03 pm
Pictures of the GC82S case:
GC82S Case Exterior.jpgGC82S Case Interior.jpgGC82S Case Interior_2.jpgGC82S Case Interior_3.jpg

The top has an extra padded section that runs along the strings from the nut to just in front of the bridge.
Do you find your case heavy and sturdy?
Very sturdy and quite heavy enough for my needs; though I would not trust it to be tossed around by airline luggage handlers and chutes. It was double boxed for shipping by Purolator at my request.

The top is gently curved/bowed which adds strength and it seals very well. The case has 5 latches. I particularly like the solid support under the neck, which extends from the 1st to 7th frets. The case I had custom built for my GC-10 is a bit heavier, but has less foam protection and only a 1" support for the neck at the 8th fret. I stack felt cleaning cloths on top of the inner compartment to provide better neck support when traveling.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Unfortunately the case for my GC30A is a lot more flimsy.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 831
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:57 pm

HNLim wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:52 pm
Unfortunately the case for my GC30A is a lot more flimsy.
There are numerous custom guitar case builders...or you could certainly build your own. :)
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
EZfan
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by EZfan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:53 pm

HNLim wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:52 pm
Unfortunately the case for my GC30A is a lot more flimsy.
My GC-30A case is very sturdy and heavy. Perhaps, your case was not the original case for GC-30A :)
1977 Yamaha GC-30A-Toshio Kato.
1973 Toshihiko Nakade 1200AJ.
1971 Yamaha GC-15D-Toshio Kato.

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:06 pm

EZfan wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:53 pm
HNLim wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:52 pm
Unfortunately the case for my GC30A is a lot more flimsy.
My GC-30A case is very sturdy and heavy. Perhaps, your case was not the original case for GC-30A :)
Mine is the original Yamaha GC30A case. It looks very similar to your case with the brass Yamaha logo.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:41 am

20180407_093937.jpg
This is the solid brass badge from my Yamaha GC30A case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 pm

I have finally gotten hold of my Yamaha GC70. Looks like I am back with the fan club. :D
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

jazz_samz
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:18 am

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by jazz_samz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi. I am from Singapore and just joined this forum.
I am determined to finally embark on a journey to pick up playing classical guitar again at 42 and am quite serious abt this. 😅 I’ve enrolled for classes since early this year.
I would like to seek advise on buying a classical guitar. At Yamaha DG, I wanted to try out the GCs but they only had the 12 and 22. I enquired abt the 32 and 42 as I wished to compare the sound and feel of the instrument, however the staff cautioned me in buying the Japanese made guitars. They claimed Yamaha Singapore are reluctant to bring in the Japanese made guitars Bcos due to Singapore high humidity environment, the Japanese guitars tend to warp or crack while the China made ones don’t.
I like to check if this is true?
Anyone can advise and share their review on the GC22c?

Thanks in advance everyone.

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 831
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:38 pm

HNLim wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 pm
I have finally gotten hold of my Yamaha GC70. Looks like I am back with the fan club. :D
:bravo: Looking forward to pictures and your review!
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:01 pm

jazz_samz wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:30 pm
Hi. I am from Singapore and just joined this forum.
I am determined to finally embark on a journey to pick up playing classical guitar again at 42 and am quite serious abt this. 😅 I’ve enrolled for classes since early this year.
I would like to seek advise on buying a classical guitar. At Yamaha DG, I wanted to try out the GCs but they only had the 12 and 22. I enquired abt the 32 and 42 as I wished to compare the sound and feel of the instrument, however the staff cautioned me in buying the Japanese made guitars. They claimed Yamaha Singapore are reluctant to bring in the Japanese made guitars Bcos due to Singapore high humidity environment, the Japanese guitars tend to warp or crack while the China made ones don’t.
I like to check if this is true?
Anyone can advise and share their review on the GC22c?

Thanks in advance everyone.
Please check your mail box.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
EZfan
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by EZfan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:22 am

HNLim wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 pm
I have finally gotten hold of my Yamaha GC70. Looks like I am back with the fan club. :D
Great :)
1977 Yamaha GC-30A-Toshio Kato.
1973 Toshihiko Nakade 1200AJ.
1971 Yamaha GC-15D-Toshio Kato.

Ernest
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:13 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Ernest » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 am

HNLim wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 pm
I have finally gotten hold of my Yamaha GC70. Looks like I am back with the fan club. :D
Hi HN, many years ago, when i was training in Japan, Sato let me try the GC70 prototype and it was superb! If my memeory serves me correctly, that guitar was based on a Hauser design....enjoy your guitar :)

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:28 am

Here is my 2007 Yamaha GC70,
GC70-1.jpg
GC70-2.jpg
GC70-3.jpg
The case is a brand new original Yamaha Hardcase. I am a little disappointed with the tuning machine. The entire guitar is French polished and wearing can be seen on the back where the body touches the guitar and where the arms touched the guitar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:29 am

Ernest wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 am
HNLim wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 pm
I have finally gotten hold of my Yamaha GC70. Looks like I am back with the fan club. :D
Hi HN, many years ago, when i was training in Japan, Sato let me try the GC70 prototype and it was superb! If my memeory serves me correctly, that guitar was based on a Hauser design....enjoy your guitar :)
BTW are you Ernest Kwok?
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Ernest
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:13 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Ernest » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:30 am

Yep :)

Return to “Luthiers”