Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:48 am

Ernest wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:30 am
Yep :)
Glad to have a very accomplished guitarist in our midst.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
keithwwk
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:12 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by keithwwk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:58 am

HNLim wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:28 am
Here is my 2007 Yamaha GC70,
GC70-1.jpg
GC70-2.jpg
GC70-3.jpg
The case is a brand new original Yamaha Hardcase. I am a little disappointed with the tuning machine. The entire guitar is French polished and wearing can be seen on the back where the body touches the guitar and where the arms touched the guitar.
Congratulation! She is beautiful!
:bravo:
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Esteve Mod 1.4ST Spruce 2003
Ryoji Matsuoka M20 Cedar 1978
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

Ernest
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:13 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Ernest » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:05 am

HNLim wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:48 am
Ernest wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:30 am
Yep :)
Glad to have a very accomplished guitarist in our midst.
You are too kind, my friend. I used to have a 30B by Ezaki in the late 70s, eveything was polished, even the ebony fingerboard! even John Mills love it....unfortunately the tone did not improve much over the years, on hindsight i should not have sold it....

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:07 am

Ernest wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:05 am
HNLim wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:48 am
Ernest wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:30 am
Yep :)
Glad to have a very accomplished guitarist in our midst.
You are too kind, my friend. I used to have a 30B by Ezaki in the late 70s, eveything was polished, even the ebony fingerboard! even John Mills love it....unfortunately the tone did not improve much over the years, on hindsight i should not have sold it....
Yamaha GC30B.jpg
I love the Yamaha GC30B headstock. I had very good experience with my former GC30A with Ezo Spruce top. I suspect your GC30B has a cedar top. In 1978 the top of the GC30B was changed from Cedar to German Spruce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:09 am

keithwwk wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:58 am
HNLim wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:28 am
Here is my 2007 Yamaha GC70,
GC70-1.jpg
GC70-2.jpg
GC70-3.jpg
The case is a brand new original Yamaha Hardcase. I am a little disappointed with the tuning machine. The entire guitar is French polished and wearing can be seen on the back where the body touches the guitar and where the arms touched the guitar.
Congratulation! She is beautiful!
:bravo:
KUM-SEAH
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Ernest
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:13 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Ernest » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:07 pm

HNLim wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:07 am
Ernest wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:05 am
HNLim wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:48 am


Glad to have a very accomplished guitarist in our midst.
You are too kind, my friend. I used to have a 30B by Ezaki in the late 70s, eveything was polished, even the ebony fingerboard! even John Mills love it....unfortunately the tone did not improve much over the years, on hindsight i should not have sold it....
Yamaha GC30B.jpg I love the Yamaha GC30B headstock. I had very good experience with my former GC30A with Ezo Spruce top. I suspect your GC30B has a cedar top. In 1978 the top of the GC30B was changed from Cedar to German Spruce.
Mine has a german spruce top :)

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 831
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:09 pm

HNLim wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:28 am
Here is my 2007 Yamaha GC70,
The case is a brand new original Yamaha Hardcase. I am a little disappointed with the tuning machine. The entire guitar is French polished and wearing can be seen on the back where the body touches the guitar and where the arms touched the guitar.
Oh yes! Very, very nice! Who was the luthier?
Is there an issue with the tuning machines...or simply, they are the Yamaha Gold variant?
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Ernest wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:07 pm
HNLim wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:07 am
Ernest wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:05 am


You are too kind, my friend. I used to have a 30B by Ezaki in the late 70s, eveything was polished, even the ebony fingerboard! even John Mills love it....unfortunately the tone did not improve much over the years, on hindsight i should not have sold it....
Yamaha GC30B.jpg I love the Yamaha GC30B headstock. I had very good experience with my former GC30A with Ezo Spruce top. I suspect your GC30B has a cedar top. In 1978 the top of the GC30B was changed from Cedar to German Spruce.
Mine has a german spruce top :)
German spruce was used on the Yamaha GC30B from 1978 to 1984 before it was replaced by the Yamaha GC61 and the Yamaha GC30A was replaced by the Yamaha GC70 in 1984. The Yamaha GC70 remains the top model but unfortunately it is only available in Japan. It seems that Yamaha must have some very healthy stocks of BRW for a long time to come.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:40 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:09 pm
HNLim wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:28 am
Here is my 2007 Yamaha GC70,
The case is a brand new original Yamaha Hardcase. I am a little disappointed with the tuning machine. The entire guitar is French polished and wearing can be seen on the back where the body touches the guitar and where the arms touched the guitar.
Oh yes! Very, very nice! Who was the luthier?
Is there an issue with the tuning machines...or simply, they are the Yamaha Gold variant?
I have no idea who is the luthier. I cannot make out the name from the label.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by HNLim » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 am

When I first took out the GC70 from the case and play, I was extremely disappointed. I think the strings must have been on the guitar for years and years. I got the strings changed and went on to repair the worn out French polish. Mainly on the back.

This is my first attempt at French polish. Due to the refurbishing work, i don't have much time to play on the guitar. Somehow I noticed a fantastic transformation as I use it to compare with my other guitars.

The tone has become much more lyrical and has a very beautiful tone. The volume has also gone up by a huge margin and the bass is much more powerful than my other guitars. It's quite unfortunate that the refurbishing has allowed very small window periods for me to play it. It is definately a better sounding guitar than the GC30A.

I have also changed the nut to a TUSQ nut as the first string is mounted barely 3mm to the edge. Now it is 5mm away from the edge.

I am as at now, extremely glad and happy to have made this purchase.

I am now considering buying another GC70 or a GC61 or a GC30A or a GC30B. This shows how greedy I am. :wink:

Oh one more thing. The BRW smells just like the GC30A. Very sweet and fragrant.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 831
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Wonderful! Often an instrument must be awakened after storage time and it sounds as though new strings were definitely in order.

How did your 1st FP turn out?

Your impressions confirm Toshio Kato's design goals relative to the GC30A: improve the bass response and sustain.

Other players of the GC70: Siegfried Behrend, Eduardo Falu, Shin-ichi Fukuda, Thomas Kirchhoff, Dale Kavanagh, Paco de Lucia, Konrad Ragossnig.

Also, Narciso Yepes played a GC30A-10 (10 string)
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

JohnH*
Posts: 361
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by JohnH* » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:07 pm

s-l1600.jpg
Can anyone tell me where the Grand Concert GD-20C fits in the Yamaha lineup? I've asked this over in the "We who love Japanese guitars" topic, too.
Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnH*
2013 Anders Sterner BRW/Spruce
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 831
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:16 pm

JohnH* wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:07 pm
s-l1600.jpgCan anyone tell me where the Grand Concert GD-20C fits in the Yamaha lineup? I've asked this over in the "We who love Japanese guitars" topic, too.
Thanks,
Check here: viewtopic.php?t=109312
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

JohnH*
Posts: 361
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by JohnH* » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:16 pm
JohnH* wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:07 pm
s-l1600.jpgCan anyone tell me where the Grand Concert GD-20C fits in the Yamaha lineup? I've asked this over in the "We who love Japanese guitars" topic, too.
Thanks,
Check here: viewtopic.php?t=109312
Thank you!
JohnH*
2013 Anders Sterner BRW/Spruce
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."

User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 831
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:33 pm

You are most welcome!

Douglas
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Return to “Luthiers”