Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Beowulf

Re: Yamaha GC (Grand Concert) Fan Club -Delcamp

Post by Beowulf » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:32 pm

HNLim wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:31 pm
I noticed even with the high-end Yamaha GC guitars, there is a wide variation with the sound/tone of their guitars. I have owned 2 Yamaha GC30A and both have amazing sound, however, I have played on a Yamaha GC30A which I wanted to buy that have very disappointing sound.

I bought a Yamaha GC70 that needs refurbishing. When I first take possession of the guitar, the sound was very disappointing. However with the advice given by my good friend Sen Goh, I did some voicing of the guitar. The sound has undergone a dramatic transformation in volume and tone. The bass has become more powerful and the treble has become sweeter. It has become probably the best sounding guitar that I have come across. I enjoy playing this amazing guitar and never seems to have enough of it. It makes me want to wake up in the middle of the night to play my guitar.
Wonderful! Would you share the particulars of the "voicing" that you carried out? It would be very interesting to know what led to the improvements.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:08 am

The first thing that I did was to leave all the strings on and to sand down the edges of the guitar top here the pirfling are surrounding the bridge. I use a #100 grit sandpaper. I keep playing and keep sanding the edges and slowly sand towards the bridge. With the finishing on, you can see clearly how much material you have taken off. For the GC70 I sanded off more towards the treble and bottom area and lesser at the bass area. You have to do it slowly over many days, each time removing a little and them play on the guitar. When that is almost done, I proceeds to remove all the top finish with dinner grit sandpaper until it gets very smooth. At this stage, I remove the strings and work on the area between the bridge and soundhole.

I put the strings back on and have been enjoying the guitar very much now. The top is now raw and I am very reluctant to put on any finish for fear of changing the sound that I love. I may just put very light layers of shellac to give it the stain and finish off with one or two very light coat of lacquer.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:50 am

Screenshot_20181005-124709_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
1984 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:37 pm

HNLim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:08 am
The first thing that I did was to leave all the strings on and to sand down the edges of the guitar top here the pirfling are surrounding the bridge. I use a #100 grit sandpaper. I keep playing and keep sanding the edges and slowly sand towards the bridge. With the finishing on, you can see clearly how much material you have taken off. For the GC70 I sanded off more towards the treble and bottom area and lesser at the bass area. You have to do it slowly over many days, each time removing a little and them play on the guitar. When that is almost done, I proceeds to remove all the top finish with dinner grit sandpaper until it gets very smooth. At this stage, I remove the strings and work on the area between the bridge and soundhole.

I put the strings back on and have been enjoying the guitar very much now. The top is now raw and I am very reluctant to put on any finish for fear of changing the sound that I love. I may just put very light layers of shellac to give it the stain and finish off with one or two very light coat of lacquer.
Studying the picture, it would appear that the thickness of the top was most reduced in the area of the "V" at the bottom of the fan bracing. Perhaps this has allowed the top to move more freely and thus increased the responsiveness to the sound board?

At least some sealing coats for a finish would likely help to reduce the sensitivity to humidity changes.

Congratulations!

dta721

Post by dta721 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:12 pm

HNLim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:08 am

Thanks for sharing your procedure of post-custom voicing of the GC70 à la HNLim! :okok:

Since no two guitars would have the same voice (due to their unique wood's density and stiffness, and other factors), I am afraid if this process is to repeat on another GC70, it will be uniquely different!

Perhaps the legendary luthiers back then would have done the same kind of post-voicing, i.e. thinning out the top on their finished guitar (as there is no way to go back working on the underside), to perfect their desirable sound? :reflechir:

Errabal49

Post by Errabal49 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Dear Yamaha GC fans,

I would LOVE to have a copy of the original Excel spreadsheet which Yamaha has issued to help with identify the specs. of the vintage GC models.
Please let me know if you can share it :D and how . Best, Errabal49

CPAULF

Post by CPAULF » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:37 pm

Robert Canada wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:57 pm
HNLim wrote:Here is the 1974 version of the Yamaha GC30A.

YamahaGC30A1974009_zps4de346fc (1).jpg
YamahaGC30A1974002_zps5a7ff6e0 (1)jpg
YamahaGC30A1974028_zps68542c47.jpg
[attachment=1]YamahaGC30A1974027_zps98637b50.jpg
YamahaGC30A1974003_zps38e5bbca.jpg
Please please please send a sound tracks of this guitar? It has to be the most beautiful guitar ever!

What years had that pattern?
Hi,
This pattern was first used on the GC-20D, from 1970 to 1973. That's the second generation of GC. Also used on GC-15D but not sure of date but probably same as 20D.

The first generation of GC were from 1966 to 1971 including GC-3, GC-5 or GC-5F, GC-7 or GC-7F, GC-10 or GC-10F and never used this kind of pattern.
Regards
YAMAHA GC-5 (1971) Ezaki, YAMAHA GC-6D (1972) Kato, YAMAHA GC-20D (1972) Kato, YAMAHA GC-15 (1980) Ezaki
YAMAHA SLG-120NW, KAZUO YAIRI AR518 (1988), YUKINOBU CHAI #10 (2004), RAIMUNDO 180 (1996)
BUT...
THE FINEST INSTRUMENT IS THE MIND

Kevin Dunn

Post by Kevin Dunn » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:07 am

It's an old thread that I am picking up.

The Yamaha CG220A that I am keeping now gives adequate ringing trebles and bright, punchy bass for class. It is very different from the G200D that I also hold, which offers much woody and darker tones. The Yamaha C300, which carries surprisingly light, drums differently with fast response, resonance and does not requires undue damping. Those three sturdy Yamaha guitars are the only ones I spent some time on like several months. And all of them exceed my expectations from guitars made like 30+ years ago.

I am new to Japanese guitars — just 2 cents.
1996 Claude Guibord, Spruce/BRW; 1982 Ramirez Estudio, Cedar/IRW.

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:24 pm

The GC models are superior to GD models that were once produced in the 90's.The one I acquired is GD10, made in Taiwan, GC were high end models produced in Japan.It has a thick glossy finish, and turned cloudy within 2 years, must be a bad batch.

It's an entry level all solid wood guitar,the playability is good, but I think it should have sound better if the finish is thinner.The workmanship is clean and neat though.
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

Ken Kim
Student of the online lessons

Post by Ken Kim » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:27 am

Hi, all.

I'm impressed about Yamaha guitar. She is playing probably Yamaha GC-10 or 15 series from 1970s.
It has beautiful sound with her superb performance.
Ken

♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥♫✥

Robert England Hauser / Amalio Burguet Especial
Cordoba C12SP, Torres & Rodriguez
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW / Ryoji Matsuoka M60

bushweek

Post by bushweek » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:48 am

Hi GC fanclub. Im in the market for a vintage GC or other vintage Japanese guitar to kick off the new year, so feel free to pm me if you are looking to sell...

My first guitar was a low end GC3a from ‘81 and took me right through the 8 grades no problem, many years ago. It had beautiful tone and I shouldnt have sold it .. i replaced it with a newer GC31 and then a 41, but ended up selling both of those. They were pretty good guitars, but I prefered my older one.

I wish Yamaha had made if easier to work out the range. Trying to weigh up 5’s, 10’s, 15’s or a 30 across the vintages is tricky!

For those who have owned/played multiple vintage GCs, have you noticed a big difference in quality between a 5 or a 10 or a 15 or a 30? I see there are two late ‘70s for sale on here right now - a 10 and a 30B... and elsewhere some 15’s for sale. Is the large price difference between these models likely to be worth it? I could also get a lower 5 model from the ‘80s really cheaply... the spruce top looks master grade.

FootSor

Post by FootSor » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:49 pm

On the specs page:
https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/music ... oduct-tabs
the GC82C; cedar is specified as having a mild radius to its fretboard (3m radius). I don't think that I have ever handled a CG with a radius on its fretboard. Why would this be done to this model option alone and is such a radius often seen? I was kind of mystified when I saw that. thanks

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:59 am

3m as in 3 meters? If so, I doubt that such a radius would be perceptible at all. Normal radiuses are about 15 to 25 inches, and a 25 inch radius is practically unnoticeable. At least that's what I've heard, don't take my word for it. But if 25 inches is practically unnoticeable, then certainly 3 meters would be impossible to see with the naked eye.
2014 Yamaha GC42S

FootSor

Post by FootSor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:19 pm

Thank you!
That was my impression, which lead to the thought: Why??? This is the only radius listed in the lineup and it seemed strange to me.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:23 pm

I asked the technical service manager at Yamaha Canada about the 3000mm radius and here is the response:

""The 3000mm radius is correct; it’s almost completely flat. Traditionally, classical guitars are completely flat; but that ever-so-slight radius adds to the playing comfort."

Return to “Luthiers”