Can you tell the age of a guitar or date it was made?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Blossom

Can you tell the age of a guitar or date it was made?

Post by Blossom » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:47 am

Hi all,

I purchased a guitar a few weeks ago, brand new. I was wondering whether you can work out the date it was made or at least how old the guitar is in years?

I would really like to know :wink:

Blossom

Pepe Vergara

Post by Pepe Vergara » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:39 am

Have you tried reading the label? Can you post a pic of the label at least?

Blossom

Post by Blossom » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:09 am

Sorry, I currently can't take pics with my digital camera because the batteries are flat :?

I did study the label but it doesn't have any date on it. I will post a pic as soon as I have recharged the batteries :)

Blossom

Blossom

Post by Blossom » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:38 pm

Hi,

I was finally able to take a pic of the label.

Blossom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blossom

Post by Blossom » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:39 pm

Anything anyone can tell me about my guitar would be great - apart from the obvious :wink:

Blossom

TedtheBear

Post by TedtheBear » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:32 am

Blosom, I noticed a website on the label. I think you should contact them. They should be able to answer any question that you have regarding you guitar.
Typical date coding would have this read:
May 23, 2007. Not sure whether they used this system.

Blossom

Post by Blossom » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:56 pm

TedtheBear wrote:Typical date coding would have this read:
May 23, 2007. Not sure whether they used this system.
Hmm, no date to be found on the guitar...except for a series of stamped numbers on the inside of the guitar, but those don't make any sense.

I went to the website and had a look around. I couldn't find any further info so far :?

I might just try emailing them...still seems a longshot though, imagine everyone who purchased one of their guitars flooding them with emails wanting to know details about their guitars :lol:

Blossom

TedtheBear

Post by TedtheBear » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:31 pm

Blossom, the numbers on your label could be the date code! Often times manufacturers will use the serial number, stock number, whatever number as the date code. So granted that it's a guess, it's an educated guess based on my past manufacturing experience. The five would be the 5th month (May), the three would be the 3rd day, the four-the 4th week, the seven-the year (of the 2000 series, thus 2007). Like I said , I can't be sure that this system is what they used. You should be able to get info by contacting them.

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:11 pm

TedtheBear wrote:Like I said , I can't be sure that this system is what they used. You should be able to get info by contacting them.
Ted, the only flawed logic I see in your theory is that if more than one guitar was finished on the same day, they would have the same # and therefore it would not be a unique identifier.

Far-fetched hypothetical scenario...

Someone with a guitar with the same # reports it stolen. You're down on your luck and decide to hock your guitar to get rent money. Pawn shop runs a check against police reports and suddenly you're in deep yogurt for trying to pawn a "stolen" guitar.

But Blossom said the guitar was purchased brand new, so this isn't like an older guitar whose year is a total mystery. The maker undoubtedly cannot afford to have a large stock of freshly made guitars sitting around the shop just "aging to perfection" or such.

TedtheBear

Post by TedtheBear » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:00 am

JQ. wrote:[Ted, the only flawed logic I see in your theory is that if more than one guitar was finished on the same day, they would have the same # and therefore it would not be a unique identifier
Not so! It is for dating purposes only-to track the DAY it was made. These are used by manufacturesrs for internal tracking. There are other identifying numbers that MUST go along. These may be referred to as: SN (serial number) Model, etc. They might stamped inside somewhere.

Blossom

Post by Blossom » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:45 am

*runs off to look at stamped number* :bye:

Blossom

Blossom

Post by Blossom » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:58 am

TedtheBear wrote:...The five would be the 5th month (May), the three would be the 3rd day, the four-the 4th week, the seven-the year (of the 2000 series, thus 2007)...
That would mean my guitar hasn't been made yet :lol:

Anyway, I looked at the stamped number but that doesn't tell me anything either. Never mind... :wink:

Blossom

TedtheBear

Post by TedtheBear » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:06 am

Blossom wrote:
TedtheBear wrote:...The five would be the 5th month (May), the three would be the 3rd day, the four-the 4th week, the seven-the year (of the 2000 series, thus 2007)...
That would mean my guitar hasn't been made yet :lol:

Anyway, I looked at the stamped number but that doesn't tell me anything either. Never mind... :wink:

Blossom
:shock:
Well, now! That's got :oops: wrtten all over it. :kap:
BTW, Like your avatar.

owl

Post by owl » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:32 am

TedtheBear wrote: BTW, Like your avatar.
Yes!... so do I :flowers:

LOL Teddy... you're a 'character' :lol:

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Blossom

Post by Blossom » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:55 am

I had a bit of time today to finally work on one. It just needed a bit more colour... :lol:

Blossom

Return to “Luthiers”