buying a guitar-please guide

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
rounie

buying a guitar-please guide

Post by rounie » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:31 am

dear forum members, i have researched a lot on guitars ex sound clips,reviews and now i am extremly confused.
i will be visiting europe in dec/jan and plan to buy from kent guitar classics or stafford guitar-so please guide me.

choices
michael gee layered top
kevin aram large body
christopher dean
dominic delarue.
paco santiago marin
i would love to purchase from guitarsalon-california& also really interested
in double tops-but my budget wont allow that also some of the double tops i heard left me disillusioned. IM basically looking for a guitar that is easily playable,a cannon in terms of volume but with traditional tone, with lots of colour for shaping a piece being played

guitars played-michael gee layered top-from a performer from england
michael thames from child prodigy madhavan somnathan( his review can be found in michael thames website under testimonials) who is learning under my teacher.
your help will be really appreciated :)
Let Music Unite All............
Richard Howell No.408 Cedar/Indian-2007

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:58 am

If you could provide some information about your level of experience, your budget, and the type of sound you prefer it might help people advise you further.

rounie

Post by rounie » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:40 am

im basically training for grade 6 trinity laerning pieces like scherzo-tarrega, valse-jose ferrer, and of couse glorious bach mousic like jesus joy of mans desiring&bouree in e-minor

i would like a guitar that would an overall performer-i would like to buy a guitar many times better than what i require because i cant invest again,
also there is a dearth of concert guitars in india.

i would like the guitar to be loud and have a beautiful tradional tone.it
should ideally be throaty, rich ,deep and pianistic.

my budget is 4000-8000us$ although i can stretch it a bit if required.i have collocted various sound samples from websites and the most appealing guitars are michael gee,kevin aram,david daily,christopher dean,richard howell,giaochino giussani- although i have heard a high praise for dominique delarue :roll:

owl

Post by owl » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:29 pm

A cedar top will provide that rich, full, deep tone you are looking for.
Richard Howell guitars are wonderful guitars... very Fleta sounding.

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

rounie

Post by rounie » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:12 pm

my personal favourite is michael gee cedar double top-but yes richard howell is fantastic as well though i believe he is not represented in europe
and my budget is mainly for the guitar so i cant travel to usa/australia
also the customs charge a hefty 60% of the value of the instrument if you get it shipped versus none if you bring it yourself

owl

Post by owl » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:17 pm

rounie wrote: also the customs charge a hefty 60% of the value of the instrument if you get it shipped versus none if you bring it yourself
:shock: Wow!... save for a little bit longer and make the trip... it would be worth it!

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Toad

Post by Toad » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:38 pm

I think the best advice is to play all of them and trust your instincts.

Its nice if you can take someone who can give an honest opinion of how you sound, otherwise listen to advice of the seller.

I've purchased a Kevin Aram from Adrian and Selina at Stafford and a Jose Plazuelo from Miles at Kent Guitar classics. They are all really nice people and won't pressure you into buying something you are unsure of.

Good luck with finding a guitar that suits you.

P

rounie

Post by rounie » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:42 pm

thanks to you owl&ptadman for your guidance.wish some more talented guitarist with wonderful guitars will give their reviews-to guide me further

rounie

Post by rounie » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:21 pm

MY FINAL CHOICES

Richard howell cedar
Dominique Delarue cedar
Michael gee double top
Christopher dean cedar top

All the opinions are welcome,please guide me to my perfect guitar

Pragueguy

Post by Pragueguy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:01 am

Sounds like a fun task to be involved with

I am right now also buying a guitar, maybe from one of those you mention but also there are German possibilities

However, regarding "guide me to my perfect guitar"....

1) There are many wonderful instruments

2) Perfection is a very challenging goal to have!

Mike

rounie

Post by rounie » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:23 am

My thanks to you pragueguy,however like i mentioned before i live in new delhi,india where there is a dearth of concert guitars,but i have managed to play 2 concert guitars from performers from us/england + A Fellow students

Michael thames-spruce/braz
Michael gee double top-cedar/indian
Bert kwakkel spruce top.

i love the Michael gee guitar but, Luthier Richard Howells guitar sound just bowled me over,still i wanted to take an opinion from various people
if there is something similar in europe,which i can purchase and bring it directly with me when i visit europe in nov/jan 2006,as shipping it directly will incur a huge 60% duty as opposed to none if you can be confident to persuade the custom officials at the airport. if i like nothing in europe(english guitar dealer) guitarwise, i will contact the luthier in australia & find a person who can bring it with him upon completion,to me

As per your statement german guitars are excellent choices but with my budget(mainly for the guitar) i cant afford to spend much on travelling,
also they are mainly in spruce,whereas i prefer cedar

rounie

Post by rounie » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:46 pm

to all the forum members who helped me in guiding me in my quest for an excellent guitar,i have already settled for a richard howell cedar,but in the future i am eyeing guitar by gioachino giussani in spruce& maple/ebony.
so,once again a word of thanks to all the people& a special thanks to owl
for his kind words& advice-i feel he has really steered me right. :P

GuitarTim

Post by GuitarTim » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:04 pm

rounie wrote:...i have already settled for a richard howell cedar,but in the future i am eyeing guitar by gioachino giussani in spruce& maple/ebony.
Proving once again that there is no "one" guitar, there's always the next one... :roll:

Pepe Vergara

Post by Pepe Vergara » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:06 pm

I will consider Spain for a classical guitar. There are still some of the best luthiers over there. Check for example Antonio Aparicio (Valencia), Jose Lopez Bellido (Granada), and Cayuela (Sevilla). I recently played a Ramirez Traditional at the Ramires store in Madrid that was excellent ($6,400 Euros- Guitarsalon has it for $8,500 dollars).

flydav

Post by flydav » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:24 am

rounie wrote:
i would like the guitar to be loud and have a beautiful tradional tone.it
should ideally be throaty, rich ,deep and pianistic.
my budget is 4000-8000us$ :roll:
Seems you like Ramirez :wink:

Guitarsalon is too expensive, they are selling a Ramirez 1a 1972 at $7500,
the same guitar, same serial number was in another website at $6000 so go somewhere else.
You can find a nice one between $4500 and $6000.

Return to “Luthiers”