1980 and now - insurance help!!!

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Alex guitarmaster

1980 and now - insurance help!!!

Post by Alex guitarmaster » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:14 am

Okay, I need one of the guitarists around in 1980: how much did a new Sakurai Model 8 cost back then, and what would the equivalent price be now. Or, what is the equivalent Sakurai model which would be like the model 8. I paid $2k (Australian), but have been told it would be worth more, like $6k (Australian again. Funny that), if it were new. The reason I'm asking is because I need to get it insured!

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:50 am

You have several options for insuring an instrument... either adding it to an existing home owner's insurance policy, or purchasing musical instrument insurance (which usually covers travel and replacement). In either case, if the instrument is worth more than a certain value, they will require a written appraisal. Each type of company has different requirements, so it is best to ask the insurance company which type of appraisal they will accept, and from whom. (They usually require it to be from a certified appraiser who is a member of a professional association, but the requirements vary) The appraiser will base the value on the condition and the current market value (auction sales records, or the cost of a current replacement instrument.)

alter Ton

Post by alter Ton » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:56 pm

We use Clarion Insurance, specifically because it has better coverage for a working musician (my wife). It is also cheaper for the amount of coverage we get.

Return to “Luthiers”