Profile of neck

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Lukman

Profile of neck

Post by Lukman » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:08 pm

I have a cheap old guitar - a Fender Classic which I acquired second-hand around 1980 and is probably about 30 years old. Recently I bought some spare bone saddles. I removed the original plastic saddle and and experimented with lowering the action. This all worked out well, producing improved tone and playability.

Flushed with success I am now focussing on the profile of the neck which on this guitar is dome-shaped (as on steel guitars) rather than the standard flattened CG shape. It also feels rather thick - a line taken vertically through the fingerboard to the back of the neck measures almost an inch (2.4cm) - which tends to make the thumb wrap around the neck when playing bass strings. My questions are:-

Is this format normal for CG?

Would it alter the tone if I flattened the profile by shaving some wood off? (I have some woodworking experience)

I would be grateful for any input

Lukman

rbjem

Post by rbjem » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:39 am

As long as you dont take a significant amount of material off the neck there should be a negligable change in tone.
What may happen though is more relief may be introducedin the neck so a truss rod adjustment may be required.
Also, be carefull not to cut it down too much so you don't accidentally cut into the truss rod channel.

Collin

Lukman

neck profile

Post by Lukman » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:29 pm

Collin

Thanks. I hadn't thought about the truss rod. Presumably it would generally pass down the centre of the neck? Looking at my guitar it seems as though I would have to remove about 3/16ths of an inch to achieve a real improvement, which would hopefully not cut in as far as the truss?

You mentioned adjusting the truss rod. Is this a difficult operation?

Lukman

Derry

Post by Derry » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:22 pm

both of my better CGs are 3/4" thick the full length of the neck,, my Tackamine 132 CG starts at 3/4" at first fret and then thickens toward the body to a tad over 13/16 at the tenth fret,,

not sure how much you could remove if there is a truss rod inside before entering the rod cavity,, always thought they placed the rod close to the fret board but not for sure,, my Tackamine has a truss rod in it,,

guess if ya want to do it and can afford to pitch the guitar if all goes bad would start taking 1/16 off at a time till you feel the neck is more comfortable,,

Lukman

profile of neck

Post by Lukman » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:20 pm

Derry

Thanks. You have confirmed my feeling that the neck is too chunky for comfort. And you're right that I will be happy to forsake this guitar if it goes wrong. It would give me an excuse to upgrade.

Lukman

Derry

Post by Derry » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:45 am

Lukman, let us know the outcome,, your either playing or upgrading,, LOL,,

Lukman

Profile of neck

Post by Lukman » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:25 pm

Derry
Will do. I'll be busy from now till Xmas, but if it goes well....there's a Manuel Contrerras for sale that is tempting. My own guitar is sounding good now that the enhancements to the saddle have settled down, so it would be nice to keep going and get the neck sorted as well.
Lukman

Return to “Luthiers”