Der Jung tuners are actually good

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by rinneby » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:37 am

Just wanted to recommend Der Jung tuners as a great alternative to other mid priced brands like Gotoh, Rubner and Schaller. They are well built, got an attractive look (at least some of them) and they are cheap. Ratio is 1:14 or 1:18 and operation is smooth and stable. I've got four pairs now. They also have even cheaper ones that they call "low cost series" but these I haven't tried.

(I have no connection to the company what so ever.)

All the best

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
1972 - Ryoji Matsuoka
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

edcat7
Posts: 1105
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:47 am
Location: Barnet, London

Re: Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by edcat7 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:15 am

DI Giorgio guitars uses Der Jung and I agree with Jon they do the job. A while ago I got an early '70's Di Giorgio Author 3 but the original tuners were replaced. I contacted Der Jung and unfortunately they no longer make that model. I'd be willing to pay good money for a replacement, does anyone have a pair?
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

User avatar
Jacek A. Rochacki
Posts: 1343
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:44 pm
Location: Bydgoszcz, Poland, Europe.

Re: Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:55 am

rinneby wrote:Just wanted to recommend Der Jung tuners as a great alternative to other mid priced brands like Gotoh, Rubner and Schaller. They are well built, got an attractive look (at least some of them) and they are cheap. Ratio is 1:14 or 1:18 and operation is smooth and stable. I've got two pairs now. They also have even cheaper ones that they call "low cost series" but these I haven't tried.

(I have no connection to the company what so ever.)

All the best

/Jon
+1. Let me add, that the Der Jung model that my Picado is fitted with are so called frictionless and they work really well.
Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 06.39.43.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by rinneby » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:+1. Let me add, that the Der Jung model that my Picado is fitted with are so called frictionless and they work really well.
I have these (I know they are crazy looking, but I like it)
Image
And the more traditional, but with black shafts:
Image

/Jon
1972 - Ryoji Matsuoka
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Grooveman JS
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 am

Re: Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by Grooveman JS » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:50 am

+1 I've got this on the my Picado as well......they're pretty good; quite solid build quality too....
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

es335
Posts: 1470
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by es335 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:31 am

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:
rinneby wrote:Just wanted to recommend Der Jung tuners as a great alternative to other mid priced brands like Gotoh, Rubner and Schaller. They are well built, got an attractive look (at least some of them) and they are cheap. Ratio is 1:14 or 1:18 and operation is smooth and stable. I've got two pairs now. They also have even cheaper ones that they call "low cost series" but these I haven't tried.

(I have no connection to the company what so ever.)

All the best

/Jon
+1. Let me add, that the Der Jung model that my Picado is fitted with are so called frictionless and they work really well.
Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 06.39.43.png
+1 !!!
Replaced the old Gothos of my Yairi with these and that's a completely new world now though the look is bit special! :D

User avatar
spanishguitarmusic
Posts: 1362
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:49 am

Very nice pictures of the tuners! Thanks for posting them!

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by rinneby » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:16 pm

spanishguitarmusic wrote:Very nice pictures of the tuners! Thanks for posting them!
You are welcome!

/Jon
1972 - Ryoji Matsuoka
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Peter_T
Amateur luthier
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:41 pm

Re: Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by Peter_T » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:23 pm

How's the pricing compare to the lowest-price Rubers (seen sometimes around $45-50, right?)

User avatar
geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:31 pm
Location: Bristol - UK

Re: Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by geoff-bristol » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:32 pm

Theo Mann have basic rubners plain - @ £16.37 inc tax !

es335
Posts: 1470
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by es335 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Peter_T wrote:How's the pricing compare to the lowest-price Rubers (seen sometimes around $45-50, right?)
That's a difficult question, particularly as Rubner offers no Lyra style tuners and aluminum rollers with teflon bearing, why any comparison will be always mor or less misleading.

The shown Der Jung tuners sell hear in Germany for 56€ which is by fare the best price for 1:18 tuners with teflon bearing of the rollers.

Rubner tuners with ball bearing of the rollers start here at app. 160€ but with 1:15 gear ratio.

Schaller Grandtune tuners with 1:18 ratio, ball bearing and lyra style plate start here at 160€!

To compare the said Der Jung tuners with basic Rubners for app. 15€ would not be fair in any aspect! :wink:

User avatar
rojarosguitar
Posts: 4661
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: near Freiburg, Germany

Re: Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Got Der Jung tuners for less than 30 Euros (no ball bearings) and they work very well.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by rinneby » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:38 pm

Grooveman JS wrote:+1 I've got this on the my Picado as well......they're pretty good; quite solid build quality too....
Ordered them too just to compare with my Schaller GrandTune and Rubner Supreme :) Have quite a few old guitars that need new tuner anyway ;)

/Jon
1972 - Ryoji Matsuoka
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by rinneby » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:39 pm

rinneby wrote:
Grooveman JS wrote:+1 I've got this on the my Picado as well......they're pretty good; quite solid build quality too....
Ordered the frictionless too just to compare with my Schaller GrandTunes and Rubner Superiors :) Have quite a few old guitars that need new tuners anyway ;)

/Jon
1972 - Ryoji Matsuoka
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Dave Stott
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:24 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Der Jung tuners are actually good

Post by Dave Stott » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:35 pm

Der Jung are indeed nice... I'm fairly sure that Cordoba uses them on their guitars. I replaced the tuners on my 2+ year old guitar with Rubners about a month ago.. The difference in the feel and operation was night and day...
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba Orchestra 12 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2015 Simon & Patrick Showcase CH HG

Return to “Luthiers”