What is the best classical guitar you've tried?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
CGC

What is the best classical guitar you've tried?

Post by CGC » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:38 pm

I was listening to Starobin's Sor and Giuliani DVD , admiring the tone of the 1923 Hauser, when it occurred to me that the nicest guitar I ever played was a Hauser 3. I cannot remember the year. It had a fantastic tone and played like a dream.
Anyone have a similar experience :?:

Sille_Noj

Post by Sille_Noj » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:28 pm

The finest I've played is a Brent Benfield spruce top classical guitar.

kshri

Post by kshri » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:02 am

probably a matthias damman guitar.. double top.. thing was as loud as a cannon!

owl

Post by owl » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:14 am

I've played a Smallman... I wish I had one lol :roll:

Kellaway... Marty... Lissarrugue... Howell... all Australian luthiers, are as good as any I have played... and I have played lots over the years! :shock:

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

chimera

Lissarrague

Post by chimera » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:57 am

You've played one of kim lissarrague's guitars? Can you tell me what you think about it? Which model was it?

owl

Re: Lissarrague

Post by owl » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:32 am

chimera wrote:Can you tell me what you think about it? Which model was it?
I don't remember the model... it was up in Sydney... a couple of years ago now :oops:
It was a lattice braced arch back... cedar top.
Fantastic projection and wonderful tone!
I did ask at the time what strings were on it but I can't remember that now either! :roll: Sorry!

Fabulous sounding guitar... great playability!

Owl

chimera

great to hear!

Post by chimera » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:55 am

Thanks Cause I ordered one (I'm a bit of a risk taker). I think the one you tried is the same model I've ordered. My family friend and teacher has played it as well and said something along the same lines so I trusted that luthier and ordered one. Only a few months now.

owl

Re: great to hear!

Post by owl » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:06 am

chimera wrote: so I trusted that luthier and ordered one. Only a few months now.
You wont be sorry... what strings will Kim be putting on it do you know... or are you choosing your own?

I nearly ordered one this year but decided to wait a little... probably a mistake lol... he is becoming very popular! :roll:

Owl

chimera

ah ok

Post by chimera » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:33 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed. I've talked to him and did my background check on him. Yeah I heard he is getting very popular. In fact the reason why I took the risk is because at the time he was going to up the price. So I secured it by putting a down payment before the price went up. He is also a very kind person, at the time he let me have extras without cost. Now they have costs such as the arm rest made of ebony and so forth. He did it for me for free.

As for strings I'm letting Kim make that choice as he knows his guitar best. I will use those strings until the time to change comes and I'll use the ones I currently play with (Hannabach).

owl

Re: ah ok

Post by owl » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:00 pm

chimera wrote: As for strings I'm letting Kim make that choice as he knows his guitar best. I will use those strings until the time to change comes and I'll use the ones I currently play with (Hannabach).
When the time comes to change you might be happy to go with what Kim puts on her... they generally choose what sounds best.

Yes... he is a really nice guy... I also heard his prices were going up... along with several other luthiers that are increasing in popularity.

Let's know when she arrives... I would love to hear what you think.
Good luck mate... I'm sure she will be gorgeous! :lol:

Owl

chimera

heh

Post by chimera » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:13 pm

Thanks owl. I'm excited about it as well. He let me choose south american veneers on them and a few extras. I'm quite excited about it's birth.

Uwe

Post by Uwe » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:43 pm

I play a Bernabe M10, a Yamaha GC60 and since 6 month a Santiago Marin Montero, wich costs me 7500 Euro. I have tested and played many guitars from many builders since i play classical guitar (more than 30 years). My Montero is absolutely the best (and lowdest) sounding guitar i have ever heard. I would not sell it if somebody would give me 50.000 Euro.

ong-bak

Post by ong-bak » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:50 pm

Johann Stauffer ,Vienna ....1830 that I have played in Concert!

Allan

Post by Allan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:38 pm

An Alejandro Cervantes Masters Model classical, Indian and spruce. It is warm, clear and loud, with the friendliest neck I've ever played, and has a voice that is heartbreakingly beautiful. I am mesmerized every time I sit down to play this instrument. I can't think of anything I've played that even comes close--well, maybe a vintage Santos Hernandez I once tried. I sold a new Antonio Marin Montero I'd bought and had only 8 months because after I got the Cervantes the Marin never left its case.

Allan

Pepe Vergara

Post by Pepe Vergara » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:10 am

The Antonio Aparicio Model made by Antonio Aparicio. He only makes four or less of those in one year. They are awesome!!

Return to “Luthiers”