New vs Old

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Muse

New vs Old

Post by Muse » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:30 pm

I was talking to another guitar player and he started talking to me about the new school of guitar making. He said that they were easier to play than the old school. I had no idea what he was talking about. Does anyone know? New and old school? :?:

Sille_Noj

Re: New vs Old

Post by Sille_Noj » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:02 pm

Muse wrote:I was talking to another guitar player and he started talking to me about the new school of guitar making. He said that they were easier to play than the old school. I had no idea what he was talking about. Does anyone know? New and old school? :?:
Definitely.

Pragueguy

Post by Pragueguy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:27 pm

Well, one thing he may mean is that the Madrid/Ramirez-based luthiers who worked into the 1970s apparently made their instruments with longer scale length than today's luthiers. My Contreras from '78 has scale length of 664 mm, same as a Ramirez.

I don't know this for sure, but I have heard it said and it is certainly true for my guitar that playing in for example first position and a barre chord like "F" major takes real finger muscles

Mike

MarkJ

Post by MarkJ » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:17 pm

I think the New School is really the Old Old school - the shorter scale lengths (640 - 650 mm) were standard in Torres days (1800s) and Hauser continued that tradition in the early 1900s. The larger bodied and longer scaled Madrid guitars from the 1960s to today (maybe a bit earlier than that) were and are still popular although they are more available in "standard" 650 mm scale lengths these days. So, I think the resurgence of the smaller, lightly built Torres style guitars is really Old School revisited. Personally, I like the larger body with a 650mm scale - I am building a guitar that has the plantilla and slightly deeper body of a Ramirez style with a 650mm scale, but lightly built and braced like a Hauser (no double sides or cypress back lamination). We will see how it works out.

Return to “Luthiers”